E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Share
    avatar
    Taiobroshi

    Posts : 63
    Join date : 2012-12-27
    Age : 26
    Location : New York

    Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Taiobroshi on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:19 am

    I understand that kata is very very important, but for those of us who access JO on a mobile device the amount of scrolling is really annoying. Maybe they can be displayed a different way, with space economy in mind?

    -Ben
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by genetic judoka on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 am

    Taiobroshi wrote:I understand that kata is very very important, but for those of us who access JO on a mobile device the amount of scrolling is really annoying. Maybe they can be displayed a different way, with space economy in mind?

    -Ben

    I changed the formatting. no idea if it'll look good on a phone though. let me know if it helps.

    other mods, if you don't like what I did let me know and I'll change it back.

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Hanon on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 am

    Step by step is the way. Take things easy with trial and error.

    I think it great Dew and his group of mods have made this forum and started something positive from what became an awful mess. I don't agree we should look backward and this nice new forum could replace the old JF without all the new problems? Its my hope.

    I do agree the massive amount of subject headings was getting OTT. But its early days and we, as members, need to give the workers here time to sort things out. One for Aikido and BJJ why not karatedo, kendo and iaido etc, where does one stop?

    Got to say it....why not combine the self defence and MMA into the other MA forum? that would save three headings and please do remember this is a judo forum. I have yet to visit a football form and see a section on cricket and V a V etc... Still I will work with what I have.

    Mike
    avatar
    Jonesy

    Posts : 1011
    Join date : 2013-01-02

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Jonesy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

    Taiobroshi wrote:I understand that kata is very very important, but for those of us who access JO on a mobile device the amount of scrolling is really annoying. Maybe they can be displayed a different way, with space economy in mind?

    -Ben
    Structure will be invaluable once this Forum grows and more content is added. I do not wish to see it changed.....
    avatar
    nomoremondays

    Posts : 122
    Join date : 2013-01-03
    Location : Looking for Stars (sort of)

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by nomoremondays on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 am

    Hanon wrote:I do agree the massive amount of subject headings was getting OTT. But its early days and we, as members, need to give the workers here time to sort things out. One for Aikido and BJJ why not karatedo, kendo and iaido etc, where does one stop?

    Got to say it....why not combine the self defence and MMA into the other MA forum? that would save three headings and please do remember this is a judo forum. I have yet to visit a football form and see a section on cricket and V a V etc... Still I will work with what I have.

    Mike

    I agree with the sentiment here.
    avatar
    Ricebale

    Posts : 423
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Wollongong Australia

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Ricebale on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

    I view this in classic mode on an iPhone, works well as enjoy seeing the spread.

    Having collapsed or combined threads means opening the sub sections to see if there is anything of interest.

    There will be issues of over coverage for people who believe Judo to be a narrow view activitity and such a forum should be for narrow focus Judo. I can see merit in this however things such as mma and Bjj would likely begin to pollute the pure judo topics if they did not have pastures of their own to graze in. The unfortunate realscape is that any male under 30 years old likely participates in Judo as an interest in those two things.

    By example I could likely run an entire forum on no-gi judo as I am quite passionate about that however I'm fully aware that such a thing is a heresy to some others, happy to keep a respectful distance via seperate threads.

    And mark my words No-Gi Judo is going to be a big thing in near future!! Smile

    Cheers
    avatar
    ThePieman

    Posts : 263
    Join date : 2012-12-28

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by ThePieman on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm

    Hanon wrote:Step by step is the way. Take things easy with trial and error.

    I think it great Dew and his group of mods have made this forum and started something positive from what became an awful mess. I don't agree we should look backward and this nice new forum could replace the old JF without all the new problems? Its my hope.

    I do agree the massive amount of subject headings was getting OTT. But its early days and we, as members, need to give the workers here time to sort things out. One for Aikido and BJJ why not karatedo, kendo and iaido etc, where does one stop?

    Got to say it....why not combine the self defence and MMA into the other MA forum? that would save three headings and please do remember this is a judo forum. I have yet to visit a football form and see a section on cricket and V a V etc... Still I will work with what I have.

    Mike

    Agreed,

    Not sure what we're going to achieve with these other martial arts subs, there are plenty of other places to go to find info on these, no doubt of a much higher quality than here; we're judo folk! affraid
    avatar
    Judo Dad

    Posts : 147
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Australia

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Judo Dad on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm

    ThePieman wrote:
    Hanon wrote:Step by step is the way. Take things easy with trial and error.

    I think it great Dew and his group of mods have made this forum and started something positive from what became an awful mess. I don't agree we should look backward and this nice new forum could replace the old JF without all the new problems? Its my hope.

    I do agree the massive amount of subject headings was getting OTT. But its early days and we, as members, need to give the workers here time to sort things out. One for Aikido and BJJ why not karatedo, kendo and iaido etc, where does one stop?

    Got to say it....why not combine the self defence and MMA into the other MA forum? that would save three headings and please do remember this is a judo forum. I have yet to visit a football form and see a section on cricket and V a V etc... Still I will work with what I have.

    Mike

    Agreed,

    Not sure what we're going to achieve with these other martial arts subs, there are plenty of other places to go to find info on these, no doubt of a much higher quality than here; we're judo folk! affraid

    +1

    Well said


    _________________
    Victoria University Judo Club[/color]
    AustralasianJudo on Facebook
    avatar
    Ricebale

    Posts : 423
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Wollongong Australia

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Ricebale on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm

    Judo Dad wrote:
    ThePieman wrote:
    Hanon wrote:Step by step is the way. Take things easy with trial and error.

    I think it great Dew and his group of mods have made this forum and started something positive from what became an awful mess. I don't agree we should look backward and this nice new forum could replace the old JF without all the new problems? Its my hope.

    I do agree the massive amount of subject headings was getting OTT. But its early days and we, as members, need to give the workers here time to sort things out. One for Aikido and BJJ why not karatedo, kendo and iaido etc, where does one stop?

    Got to say it....why not combine the self defence and MMA into the other MA forum? that would save three headings and please do remember this is a judo forum. I have yet to visit a football form and see a section on cricket and V a V etc... Still I will work with what I have.

    Mike

    Agreed,

    Not sure what we're going to achieve with these other martial arts subs, there are plenty of other places to go to find info on these, no doubt of a much higher quality than here; we're judo folk! affraid

    +1

    Well said

    On consideration I actually agree, the MMA/aikido/Bjj/etc are a bit out of whack with the remainder.

    Section such as:

    Judo Newaza
    No-Gi Judo (aka freestyle judo, it does exists like it or not)

    Are possibly more relevant to local content. Surely in those other arts anything that is Judo applicable or originated could be covered in general discussion or another Judo related forum topic.

    As an aside the competition video section is useless, anything a forum member posts something the Judo Portal dude will spam 7 new topics of international matches to push it down from my previous observations.

    Cheers

    Sponsored content

    Re: Reformatting Kata subform display?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am