E-Judo

Judo network and forum

LeBell

xjej

LeBell

Post by xjej on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:37 am

I am not familiar at all with the figure of Gene LeBell while on the net I do read stuff as "champion", "judo legend" and that he did fight in Japan being "basicly undefeated".
    I had a peak on wikipedia (which is a tool that I totally dislike ) and the comeout is pretty controversial.
    His name came out recently during a discussion and I'm kinda clueless, would anyone with a better judo knowledge tell me something about him ?
    Cichorei Kano

Re: LeBell

Post by Cichorei Kano on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 pm

xjej wrote:I am not familiar at all with the figure of Gene LeBell while on the net I do read stuff as "champion", "judo legend" and that he did fight in Japan being "basicly undefeated".
    I had a peak on wikipedia (which is a tool that I totally dislike ) and the comeout is pretty controversial.
    His name came out recently during a discussion and I'm kinda clueless, would anyone with a better judo knowledge tell me something about him ?

I believe, limiting myself to what is fact and is judo, that he won the 1954 and 1955 American National Title in the heavy-weight category.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    xjej

Post by xjej on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:I believe, limiting myself to what is fact and is judo, that he won the 1955 and 1957 American National Title in the heavy-weight category.

I found the same info reading trough wikipedia.
    My doubts around this are more related with the level of judo in States during those years and how this could relate with the "almost unbeaten" when he did visit Japan.
    My speaker, when the topic was touched last time, kinda defined him as a wall in the house of judo ( to underline his importance ) while I struggle to have the same opinion.
    Stacey

Post by Stacey on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 pm

He started training as a kid, and trained hard through two consecutive national judo championships. From there, you really have to get into the hype and the legend. Face it, back in the '50's and '60's, you couldn't make your living in judo, so he wound up doing a lot of pro wrestling, and transitioned into movies and the like. To this day, you can volunteer to be choked out by Judo Gene LeBell. He's a cool guy who's done a lot in his time to promote judo to the populace, judo being more of a military associated martial art at the time.

btw, ask some of the older guys around here - plenty of folks in the military wound up in Japan after WWII (and some before) and picked up judo while there. There's a heavy background and association between the US judo associations and the military. Bridging that gap from the military to the popular - that's on the back of quite a number of people, but none quite as vocal or capable of marketing as Judo Gene Lebell.

And, you have to give a ton of credit to a guy who's been known for his pink gi for decades.

Jerry Hays

Post by Jerry Hays on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Gene LeBell was the Overall grand champion in the United States AAU Judo Championships in 1954 and 1955.

Please visit his official site at http://www.genelebell.com/index.htm

Also, please visit http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/mixed-martial-arts-training/boxing/judo-gene-lebell-vs-boxer-milo-savage-americas-first-mma-fight/ for video of Gene's match with boxer Milo Savage.

You might want to visit http://dojorat.blogspot.com/2007/02/lebell-vs-seagal.html to read about Gene Level and Steven Seagal.

Gene is the real deal, having turned 80 last fall.  He helps train Ronda Rousey and is in her corner of her MMA matches.
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm

I've practiced with him, attended his classes, and he has taught at my dojo as well. He has been teaching judo for a long time and continues teaching with Gokor. You may have seen him in Ronda Rousey's corner at MMA events. He has authored books and made videos. He has a long show business career that includes acting, stunt work, and training stuntmen. He has his own web site. I'm not sure what it is you want to know though.
    xjej

Post by xjej on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 pm

I do appreciate this part:
    limiting myself to what is fact and is judo wrote:
    which exactly explains what I'm looking for.

Krijgsman

Post by Krijgsman on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 am

He also had a rather famous Boxing vs Judo match (some call it the first American MMA match... which isn't true considering the history of catch as catch can and rough and tumble, but I digress) with Milo Savage and won. So that is something.
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 am

That one link is gone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm