E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Share
    avatar
    afulldeck

    Posts : 377
    Join date : 2012-12-30

    Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by afulldeck on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 pm

    I probably should know this, but I don't. I am looking for the japanese equivalent for what is referred to in wrestling as pummelling for an under hook and over hook. Is there an equivalent?


    _________________
    “I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know.” ... Epicurus at Sen. Lucil, 29.10

    Emanuele2

    Posts : 141
    Join date : 2013-01-21

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Emanuele2 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 am

    In my ju Jitsu class, the hook punch is called mawashi tsuki.

    Beef Supreme

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2013-10-15

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Beef Supreme on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:28 pm

    As far as I understand pummelling, it's a preparatory or transition technique, so I don't think they are named in judo at all. I guess in some general sense it falls under kumikata. In my dojo we call it simply a "fight for grip". The use of Japanese terms is good for standard techniques such as "seoi nage" or "kesa gatame" but going to much into details with it may be confusing from the practical aspect.

    In regard to Emanuele's note, "mawashi tsuki" refers to a punch not a grip.

    Best regards
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:45 pm

    It's called kumite-arasoi.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

    Beef Supreme

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2013-10-15

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Beef Supreme on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm

    One learns something new every day. Thank you CK. If you don't mind me asking, is this an "official" judo term or it's just one of the expressions for this type of action in Japanese? By "official" I mean written in some Kodokan's curriculum or so, like "o soto gari", "shizentai"...

    Best regards
    avatar
    finarashi

    Posts : 467
    Join date : 2013-01-10
    Location : Finland

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by finarashi on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm

    Beef Supreme wrote:One learns something new every day. Thank you CK. If you don't mind me asking, is this an "official" judo term or it's just one of the expressions for this type of action in Japanese? By "official" I mean written in some Kodokan's curriculum or so, like "o soto gari", "shizentai"...

    Best regards
    bounce Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy

    Why would anything by Kodokan be more "official" in this case?


    Last edited by finarashi on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added last sentence to explain the laughter)


    _________________
    ... even professors make mistakes!

    Beef Supreme

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2013-10-15

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Beef Supreme on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 pm

    finarashi wrote:
    Beef Supreme wrote:One learns something new every day. Thank you CK. If you don't mind me asking, is this an "official" judo term or it's just one of the expressions for this type of action in Japanese? By "official" I mean written in some Kodokan's curriculum or so, like "o soto gari", "shizentai"...

    Best regards
    bounce Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy

    Why would anything by Kodokan be more "official" in this case?
    For the same reason we use other terms defined by Kodokan in judo practice including the term "judo" itself. As a system of knowledge, judo, has its standardized terminology. It makes the communication much easier just like in any other practice. It also serves to closely describe some matters. However, not everything in judo was codified for variety of reasons.

    In the lack of some other commonly accepted way of codification, I believe that judo's terminology as defined by its rightful owner i.e. Kodokan should be considered official and applied in practice. I don't think that using words like "hip throw" or "reap" in judo training is appropriate. Yet, using Japanese words for everything just for the sake of it, as I've seen in some occasions, is in my opinion pointless and hinders both the communication and learning. Hence the question if it's "official" or not. I certainly hadn't heard of it before I found it on this forum. Of course, "official" may also mean commonly accepted without being "officially" defined as such. I've heard of terms such as "ebi" or "yotsunbai" being used in many places but as far as I know it's not an "official" name.

    Every practitioner of judo should strive to improve the way the art is practiced. Using proper terminology is a part of it, especially for dan holders.

    Take care
    avatar
    afulldeck

    Posts : 377
    Join date : 2012-12-30

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by afulldeck on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:05 pm

    Cichorei Kano wrote:It's called kumite-arasoi.
    CK, I don't know how I missed your response, but thank you.


    _________________
    “I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know.” ... Epicurus at Sen. Lucil, 29.10
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:08 pm

    afulldeck wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:It's called kumite-arasoi.
    CK, I don't know how I missed your response, but thank you.
    That's OK, just buy me an ice cream (two scoops: one of toffee cream, one of vanilla), and we won't talk about it anymore.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    afulldeck

    Posts : 377
    Join date : 2012-12-30

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by afulldeck on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 am

    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    afulldeck wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:It's called kumite-arasoi.
    CK, I don't know how I missed your response, but thank you.
    That's OK, just buy me an ice cream (two scoops: one of toffee cream, one of vanilla), and we won't talk about it anymore.
    Done. Should we wait until your 854th birthday or would Saturday do?


    _________________
    “I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know.” ... Epicurus at Sen. Lucil, 29.10

    Sponsored content

    Re: Japanese for Underhook/overhook?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm