E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Kids throwing parents for first time

Raj Venugopal

Kids throwing parents for first time

Post by Raj Venugopal on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 am

Last week my 13.5 year old girl (oldest of 3 kids) knocked me down for the first time. We were doing randori and I was gripping her sleeves playing around with sode tsurikomi goshi. All of a sudden she lunged forward with kouchi and knocked me on my butt. It wasn't a scoring technique, but it was the first time one of my kids bested me in anything physical. I didn't even see it coming! I was so proud of her! She got me clean! It was Friday the 13th (a good day... my third kid was born on a Friday the 13th).

I'd be curious to hear from others who remember the first time one of their kids threw them!

DougNZ

Re: Kids throwing parents for first time

Post by DougNZ on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 am

All the kids in my class are 'my kids' ... does that count?

Many years ago I had a tall, athletic 13 year-old girl in the class. I'll never forget when she got me with ... not a sneaky foot sweep or leg throw but ... o goshi! I outweighed her by 45kg but she nailed me! I was so thrilled!!!

Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 am

Ha ha! Doesn't count unless that kid followed you home and bragged to your wife that she "beat up dad!" Boy was she ever floating on air!

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 am

23yr old shodan son has put me down a few times in the last few months. His osoto gari is quite sublime plus his ashi waza is deadly as well. Also my 19 yr old daughter fights harder and dirtier than any male I know.
    I did post a video a few months back on this site of me and my son in light randori.
    Nothing better than seeing your kids grow up in a judo environment.

Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 am

So.... she got a bit uppity last night. Said I was an old man who walks in and limps out. Everybody laughed. So I said I was going to choke her with her ponytail in randori.... which I did. Sensei had a little smile when he pointed at me and said "hansoku-make." All sorts of fun. She's getting better though!!! ; )
    Nic

Post by Nic on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:06 am

My Dad won't let me forget that I broke his collar bone when I was 16 when I threw him with seoinage.
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:42 am

I have a photo somewhere of one of my Yellow belts taking me out at the edge of the tatami with a fairly successful Ko Uchi-O Uchi attack.

I'll post it if I can find it.
    sydvicious

Post by sydvicious on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm

My son is only 5 months old, but I guess when the day comes I will be super proud.

Post by Angelven on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Twin boys, age 10 ...

Both have managed to do some vicious foot sweeps - the ones where you as an adult firmly set your foot down and discovers that no, you did not ... Sweeping so I fall so hard that I loose breath (I know, more ukemi...). Sweeping perfectly out of the blue and not announced in any way.

They can't do it on me yet but they do have a very nice ippon-seionage when they get mad at me and concentrate - throwing kids some years older. I guess I have it comming ...

DougNZ

Post by DougNZ on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Angelven wrote:Twin boys, age 10 ...

Both have managed to do some vicious foot sweeps - the ones where you as an adult firmly set your foot down and discovers that no, you did not ... Sweeping so I fall so hard that I loose breath (I know, more ukemi...). Sweeping perfectly out of the blue and not announced in any way.

Perfect throws are the hardest to breakfall from ... probably because the brain is trying to work out why the body is not standing up at precisely the same time as it gets belted by the tatami. That said, I still do not know which is the more sublime feeling: doing the perfect throw or being caught with the perfect throw.

Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 pm

On Monday night I fought my daughter again... she is getting closer. There was a huge moment in the randori when she threw one of the instructors, with a stepping across osoto-gari. I was shocked to see this; I thought they might have let my girl throw her. The instructor said it was a "real" throw, and appeared pleased. My middle kid is starting a growth spurt. The boy who started at 6. That's going to be scary....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 am