E-Judo

Judo network and forum

"Ah yes, I see you know your judo well."

seatea

"Ah yes, I see you know your judo well."

Post by seatea on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 am

Let me introduce you to Charles Dozsa.

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showthread.php?3356-Paul-Dozsa-Hungarian-Master

Some stories from the above link. What an extraordinary man. RIP Charles Dozsa.

Spoiler:

Paul Dozsa was a Hungarian Master and leading junior drawing with Portisch etc in Debrecen in 1956.

On arrival in Australia in early 1965 Dozsa was wanted by police in Hungary, Indonesia and by Interpol.

Dozsa described himself as a Hungarian nobleman and was always very well dressed wearing a cravat etc and gave the impression that he was a person of wealth and owner of a string of high class restaurants.

In those days Dozsa stayed in the finest 5 star hotels(under a variety of names) in all Australian Cities but very consistently left before paying the bill. Dozsa regularly dined and wined in Australia's best restaurants.

His knowledge of food and expensive wines was unique.
    Of course from time to time he ended up in jail.

Every time he guaranteed to the magistrate that he was extremely sorry for his actions, complimented the restaurant as serving the best food and wine he had ever had - his stated remorse led to a lighter sentence. Dozsa considered himself as the most famous person in the world for not paying restaurant bills and he told everyone he met of his achievements. On a number of occasions I told him as did others that he was a serial pest and a menace to society.

His response was simple "everything you say is right - I agree it is very stupid - I have learned my lesson and he guarantees it will never happen again". P.C.Dozsa was before the courts on at least 150 occasions but most offences never got that far. Dozsa had many excuses, my wallet is in the car or he made out a cheque which bounced, or he would say my name is Paul Dozsa I never pay my bills and I am broke, it is no use calling the police as you will never be paid. Not wanting a major disturbance in a quality restaurant he often was allowed to leave quietly by management rather than have an arrest.

Dozsa took great delight in telling everyone that he had perfected his crime. He would eat and drink then he said he was very ill and asked for an ambulance to be called. The manager would be very concerned of course and Dozsa was often taken to hospital.

He then recovered and of course had not paid the bill. He was caught one evening when the same ambulance driver picked up Dozsa and he was back in prison. Dozsa sometimes rented a luxurious apartment paying some advanced rent, hired expensive furniture, sold it and disappeared. The list goes on and on - including the TRG matter.

After a number of years a new excuse he explained to magistrates was that the Hungarian Army had implanted a device in his head which made him commit offences. This worked well for Dozsa as he was often sent for psychiatric assessment instead of jail. It was very sad that after referring to this on so many occasions that he was in fact convinced it was true.
    Spoiler:

He's definitely dead, alas. I have a good friend who is a radiologist and he once asked me out of the blue if I knew of a strong chessplayer called Paul Dosza. When I replied in the affirmative he told me that sadly he had just seen X rays showing an aggressive brain tumour and the prognosis was terminal. Paul would have at least got some satisfaction from the way he died, as he would have seen it as vindication that the secret police implants had got him in the end.

He was a lovable rogue.

Once when I was 18 I played in an Australian championship in Perth and hadn't taken the trouble to work out how I was going to get back. Paul told me he could get me a cut price air ticket. When I asked how, he smiled enigmatically and said, "Ask me no kvestions and I will tell you no lies." When I got the ticket it had Michael Mescher's name on it, but it got me home, as there was very little airline security in those days.

Dosza once turned up to an Australian championship organised by Mike Bigiel but was inexplicably short the $50 he needed for the entry fee. Putting his silver tongue to work he soon convinced the unsuspecting Bigiel that the tournament would be much the poorer without his participation and that Mike should "lend" him the $50, to be repaid from his "prize winnings". This was standard work from Dosza, but what impressed everyone was that Dosza then somehow convinced Bigiel to actually physically give him the $50 in cash which he would use to enter the tournament later, rather than just have Mike pay his entry. It was a good tournament, but sans Dosza of course. He and the $50 did not reappear. I would love to have a recording of the conversation between Paul and Mike!

I can't remember Dosza falling asleep against The Norris, though that's the kind of thing that happens to The Norris, so it probably did happen. I can ask him, if no-one else remembers. I do however remember Dosza falling asleep in an, ahem, tired and emotional state, against Eddy Levi in an Australian Championship. Debate raged about whether Dosza should be woken up, but Levi didn't want to be part of the circus and declined to play on, telling the organisers that either he or Dosza would be continuing in the tournament, but not both. It was a fairly easy choice.

Matthew Drummond tells a funny story about a dinner hosted by Aivars Lidums in Adelaide. Lidums invited various chessplayers to dinner with him at a nice restaurant and the understanding was that he would be footing the bill, even though he didn't know all the players who tagged along. At some stage one of the tagger alongers in a moment of generosity ordered a $300 bottle of Dom Perignon for the table, which it was assumed was going to be his own contribution to proceedings since he hadn't run the idea past Lidums. Stephen Pickles then became quite agitated and asked Matthew in a whisper if he knew who that was. Matthew didn't know who Dosza was, so it meant nothing to him. Anyway, the inevitable upshot of it all was that the police were called. On this occasion Paul's belligerent side came to the fore and he warned the police that he was a black belt in Llap Goch or some obscure martial art, a gambit which failed to save him from another appointment with a representative of Her Majesty.

I've heard that Dosza didn't mind jail too much. He worked as a chef when in prison and was of course very familiar with several of the prisons.
    In the early rounds Dozsa had been consuming vast amounts of alcohol at the board. After a couple of hours he would become rowdy and was a bit of a menace. He made daily mention of his karate prowess when I asked him to pipe down. After about round 3 I banned alcohol from the playing area. It was a ruling aimed at Dozsa, without quite pointing the finger at him.

His solution: between moves he would race across the 6 lane road outside for a scotch. So I told him he did not have my permission to leave the playing area.

His last solution: get totally wasted before the game. Result: one dozey chess player. As soon as his flag fell security was summoned and he was removed from the tournament hall, and the tournament.

During the event he was regularly loud, abusive, and twice knocked over games in progress. I feel that my actions were in the best interests of the tournament.

It was bloody funny though. The security guard they sent up made Gary Coleman look like a big'un. I thought dosza might go ballistic, and suggested to my fellow arbiter Manuel Weeks that we ought to help in his removal. Manuel laughed at me with a look of "Not in this lifetime my friend".

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am