E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Australian Masters Games

    Share
    avatar
    Steve Leadbeater

    Posts : 191
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 61
    Location : Sydney Australia

    Australian Masters Games

    Post by Steve Leadbeater on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 am

    Leaving home in 15 minutes for the 1000Km + drive to Geelong in
    Victoria to compete in the 14th Australian Masters Games.

    This should be fun.............Kata, Drinking, Shiai, Drinking, Drinking, Drinking........Oh, did I mention Drinking ??

    I don't care about the results.I'm going to enjoy myself,............if a medal comes my way, then that is a bonus.



    Comment from Mrs L. "" You are too bloody old and stupid to still be playing that silly game""

    back sometime 14th or 15th October. thumbs 

    tafftaz

    Posts : 330
    Join date : 2012-12-31
    Age : 52
    Location : Wales, UK

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by tafftaz on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am

    Good luck matey.

    r12477

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2013-07-04
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by r12477 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 pm

    See you there Steve! I'm competing in the competition this weekend too.
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Stacey on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:55 am

    have fun, and don't hurt your elbow raising too many, or your jaw telling too many tall tales.
    avatar
    finarashi

    Posts : 472
    Join date : 2013-01-11
    Location : Finland

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by finarashi on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:02 am

    Steve is going to excel in the ones that start with D Very Happy


    _________________
    ... even professors make mistakes!
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Stacey on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:21 am

    finarashi wrote:Steve is going to excel in the ones that start with D Very Happy
    what? the last one standing takes the gold?
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm

    I'll be officially representing Steve as his bookie. Please send your money my way.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    DrJudo

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : Atlantic Coast

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by DrJudo on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am

    The weekend is almost over. So, what happened? Did you drink or compete? or both?
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Stacey on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

    DrJudo wrote:The weekend is almost over. So, what happened? Did you drink or compete? or both?
    I bet he's in that period of grace known as the post shiai hangover - where youre attempting to pack, but don't know quite how because somehow you pulled everything needed to actually fold and zip up your kit

    r12477

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2013-07-04
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by r12477 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am

    I met Steve at the Australian Masters Games this past weekend.  In conversation he did say that he was spending some extra time down in Melbourne to visit family and as such - post-shiai hangover aside - he may not be able to respond for a short while.

    This being said, Steve and his kata partner, Russell Freemantle, came 4th in katame-no-kata in what was a very competitive field (and with very little practice).  In shiai, Steve was very crisp, sharp and dominating and took gold in his age-unrestricted weight category, beating a fellow many years his junior.  Steve was also generous enough to spend some time providing mat-side coaching and encouragement for my (3rd kyu, green belt) shiai.

    All in all, while a relatively small turn-out for the AMG 2013 games, a good weekend.
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

    r12477 wrote:I met Steve at the Australian Masters Games this past weekend.  In conversation he did say that he was spending some extra time down in Melbourne to visit family and as such - post-shiai hangover aside - he may not be able to respond for a short while.

    This being said, Steve and his kata partner, Russell Freemantle, came 4th in katame-no-kata in what was a very competitive field (and with very little practice).  In shiai, Steve was very crisp, sharp and dominating and took gold in his age-unrestricted weight category, beating a fellow many years his junior.  Steve was also generous enough to spend some time providing mat-side coaching and encouragement for my (3rd kyu, green belt) shiai.

    All in all, while a relatively small turn-out for the AMG 2013 games, a good weekend.
    That's an excellent result, congrats to Steve.

    However, how can you be sure that the person you met was really Steve and not someone pretending to be Steve. Did you have him perform the litmus test ?

    Anyhow, if you ever meet such a person again, I wanted to help by providing a simple test to verify his true identity:

    1. Have him drink 20 beers. If afterwards he says he is thirsty, you have a good chance it might be Steve.
    2. Have him sing "Advance Australia Fair" backwards without cheat sheet and assess for yourself if the result is satisfactory for any Australian.
    3. Ask him to show his credit cards and transfer them to me for verification.

    Don't thank me, I was happy to help.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

    r12477

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2013-07-04
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by r12477 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm

    Cichorei Kano wrote:Anyhow, if you ever meet such a person again, I wanted to help by providing a simple test to verify his true identity:

    1. Have him drink 20 beers. If afterwards he says he is thirsty, you have a good chance it might be Steve.
    2. Have him sing "Advance Australia Fair" backwards without cheat sheet and assess for yourself if the result is satisfactory for any Australian.
    3. Ask him to show his credit cards and transfer them to me for verification.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to sink a few with Steve as I stuck around to compete in the Men's Open of the local state competition that was running concurrently.  

    That being said though, I am fairly sure that it was the "real" Steve, although I'll take your pointers for verification next time.
    avatar
    Steve Leadbeater

    Posts : 191
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 61
    Location : Sydney Australia

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Steve Leadbeater on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm

    r12477 is being very kind.

    I didn't hurt anything that was not already hurting.........try Katame no Kata with a partial Rib Cartilage Separation !!

    A 4th place after only 30 minutes practice with an untried partner isn't too bad and a Gold medal in the Super Heavyweight Shiai against an opponent 20 years younger than me.

    I did have a Birthday lunch with my Cousin and she imparted information regarding the Family Tree..............includung a photo of my Grandparents that I had never seen.

    Oh.....did I mention that our friend r12477 beat a 5th Dan in the Mens Shiai, not too bad for a young 3rd KYU !!..............WELL DONE ROBERT.




    Nearly forgot................GOLD MEDAL in OPEN DRINKING DIVISION TOO drunken  drunken 

    r12477

    Posts : 28
    Join date : 2013-07-04
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by r12477 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 am

    Thanks Steve.

    One of the guys from my club filmed my three masters matches on the day and I have to admit that these matches seemed a lot more impressive on recollection than what they were when I actually watched them again - Nevertheless, it was a good day for me on the mat and I am looking forward to the next local competition in two weeks time.

    Raj Venugopal

    Posts : 120
    Join date : 2013-01-21

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Raj Venugopal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 am

    Awesome job! I enjoy reading your posts and it's neat to read about your recent mat exploits as well.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Australian Masters Games

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:40 am