E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Insane uchimata by Abigel (HUN) during London Olympics

Ryvai

Insane uchimata by Abigel (HUN) during London Olympics

Post by Ryvai on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 am

I just found this clip from the london olympics 2012. I cant believe I missed it! Enjoy

Video: (start watching from 6:35)
    http://www.judo.com.gr/2012/08/judo-olympic-games-london-2012-78kg-pogorzelec-daria-pol-joo-abigel-hun/

GIF format:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2/3214984/insane-uchi-mata-from-abigel-joo-hun-oh-yeah-she-only-had-one-leg-her

Does this classify as an uchimata?

NittyRanks

Re: Insane uchimata by Abigel (HUN) during London Olympics

Post by NittyRanks on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:33 am

Damn that's awesome

beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Amazingly huge throw

Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Ryvai wrote:

Some discussion is possible as to whether it is is uchi-mata or uchi-mata-makikomi.

The tori in this case jumps upwards. This is not just ken-ken, and it is also sometimes risky particular if uke can counter in the middle of that jump. In this case she must have been very confident.

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

contrarian

Post by contrarian on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:11 am

i wouldn't classify it as insane.

Davaro

Post by Davaro on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm

If the throw did not come off, anyone think white would have been in trouble for trying to stop the throw by grabbing leg?

Awesome throw nevertheless.

http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/

Brainjutsu

Post by Brainjutsu on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Frankly, I don't think that hooking up to your opponent and throwing yourself over even falls under the category of a judo throw at all. But, such ambiguities are usually avoided by finding a link with one of the original judo techniques. In this case, we see a leg between the other two legs so it must be an uchimata-something. Coming up with a clear Japanese term definitely adds to its "originality". And it sounds better too.

Anyway, she scored, she won and it's all that matters. She may even get a point of artistic performance.

DougNZ

Post by DougNZ on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:52 am

I admired the Polish girl; every time she hooked up she attacked with a throw. Love that spirit.

Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:06 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Ryvai wrote:

Some discussion is possible as to whether it is is uchi-mata or uchi-mata-makikomi.

The tori in this case jumps upwards. This is not just ken-ken, and it is also sometimes risky particular if uke can counter in the middle of that jump. In this case she must have been very confident.
    I'd say tori used her grip, taller/longer legged build, good timing relative to uke movement and posture to do an Uchi Mata Henka of some sort.

Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:07 am

DougNZ wrote:I admired the Polish girl; every time she hooked up she attacked with a throw.  Love that spirit.
    She certainly was executing a valid tactical plan given the circumstances. Most of her attacks were designed to be relatively safe and avoid being outgripped or to not get a non-combativity penalty.

Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:10 am

Brainjutsu wrote:Frankly, I don't think that hooking up to your opponent and throwing yourself over even falls under the category of a judo throw at all. But, such ambiguities are usually avoided by finding a link with one of the original judo techniques. In this case, we see a leg between the other two legs so it must be an uchimata-something. Coming up with a clear Japanese term definitely adds to its "originality". And it sounds better too.

Anyway, she scored, she won and it's all that matters. She may even get a point of artistic performance.
    There are certainly judo techniques that involve hooking up to your opponent and throwing yourself.

I think the principle is "sutemi".

It's like a chicken and egg problem. If someone does a technique in a shiai that uses a recognized principle of Judo (or principles), but is perhaps difficult to classify as a certain throw (things absolutely can get mixed up/hybridized), then was the action (throw) still "Kodokan Judo" ?

Brainjutsu

Post by Brainjutsu on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 pm

The way I learned about sutemi is that it’s a way of countering when one’s has lost the standing position, but hasn’t lost the “edge”. Such perspective probably takes into consideration the martial origins of judo, since throwing yourself on the ground in a close combat would be extremely dangerous in case of failure or multiple opponents. In that sense, sutemi would not the same as “sacrifice”, which sounds to me more like “coming out of desperation”. I believe this view is debatable but it’s not all that important right now. The fact that judo competitions today feature sacrifice throwing comes out of the lost context in which judo throws originally existed.

Jujutsu was based on the premise of unequal opponents with the attacker enjoying the advantage of strength and/or the initiative but being ignorant to their inherited disadvantages such as the easy loss of balance. On the other hand, judo match is by all means meeting of the equals, so one’s personal skill becomes the only factor of difference, at least theoretically. However, judo rules force the use of techniques from the unequal situation in a different context. As a result we have that the only way to meet the ends is to cling to the opponent in a manner that resembles the original throw (underhook, belt grab, leg hook etc.) and then force the throw by a sacrifice fall or even jump. Defining this as judo thus becomes a matter of opinion but not of a principle, which then becomes a question of its own.  

This, of course, has developed gradually as the contestants have become increasingly knowledgeable and rules have become more defined. A natural end would be a stalemate after which a new direction would have to be found similar to what Kano in his time did with judo.

GregW

Post by GregW on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:59 am

That's a harai makikomi, not an uchimata. Tori's left leg is on the outside for the reaping motion. I like the way blue set it up. It looked almost like she was going for a standing ude garami armlock, and when she was inside, she locked the arm and reaped.

Throughout the match, white kept attacking ineffectively with the same throw, but to the right side. She never got inside and didn't have control of the arm when she attacked. It was almost like watching blue say, "Here, let me show you how it's done."

I thought it was interesting that blue risked two warnings for passivity before taking the initiative. Perhaps the strategy was to just allow white to wear herself out before attacking.

Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:05 pm

GregW wrote:That's a harai makikomi, not an uchimata.   
    No, it is not.

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

Ryvai

Post by Ryvai on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:06 am

GregW wrote:That's a harai makikomi, not an uchimata. 
    Go home GregW, your drunk! ^_^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:16 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm