E-Judo

Judo network and forum

sake recommendations

Stacey

sake recommendations

Post by Stacey on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 am

so as the title says, can anybody make a recommendation or two for sake in the US
    BillC

Re: sake recommendations

Post by BillC on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:50 am

The one to ask is Sugata Sanshiro from the old JF ... unfortunately he is so disgusted with a few of the posters on this forum that he doesn't want any part of it. But ... his spouse is in the sake marketing business.

My favorites? There are many. Two that might appeal to Western tastes ... they are not cheap. Both are served chilled.

Kubota manju junmai daiginjo. Yes, that's a mouthful ... pun intended. Treated to this one in Niigata where it is the local. As with many breweries, these guys produce several different products with the same brand name but we increasing price and quality. Has to do with the amount of material milled off the rice before brewing or some baloney that you can look up. Label looks the same as the cheap versions, so don't get ripped off. http://www.asahi-shuzo.co.jp/brand/kubota.html the one I am talking about is on the top center I think ... and you can see in Japan it's 80 bucks for a 1.8 liter bottle.

Another favorite, which is just about everywhere is Hakkaisan. You can walk into any place and order that and not come across as a total "gimme hot saki" gaijin. It's generally available. I enjoyed their Junmai Ginjo might down on Convoy Street ... and that woudl make a nice gift I think. http://www.hakkaisan.com/wp-content/themes/iBlogPro/images/features/F1_junmai_ginjo.jpg

Doubtless you will get lots of argument on this.

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling
    finarashi

Post by finarashi on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Stacey wrote:so as the title says, can anybody make a recommendation or two for sake in the US
    Don't drink it Mad 

gester

Post by gester on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Has anyone tried sake by the Kano Family?

Quote from wikipedia:
    Kanō Jigorō was born to a sake brewing family in the town of Mikage, Japan (now within Higashinada-ku, Kobe). The family sake brands included "Shiroshika", "Hakutsuru", and "Kiku-Masamune".

I haven't found it yet in the US.

Gester
    NBK

Post by NBK on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 pm

The company website says they export to the US but I can't find it.... But I can in Tokyo!!
    Nic

Post by Nic on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am

I like the Takara Sake company from Berkeley California, it's a great place to go for tasting. They make Sho Chiko Bai and Takara sake, my favorite are the Junmai nama sake types.

Shindai Warrior

Post by Shindai Warrior on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 am

NBK wrote:The company website says they export to the US but I can't find it.... But I can in Tokyo!!

Perhaps importing it to North America could be used for fundraising and the profile of Judo?

Jackie Chan did well with a film about drunken Chinese style boxing.

Just think what one about drunken judo would do.  Cool 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm