Damn and blast it. I don't want nor need this sort of thread. I am lacking self control today some thing fearful.....Shittt.
Want a fast post so am going to greatly generalise
. Take the points and not find nuances please, there are always exceptions.
1)There are charlatans involved with judo. The only difference between them is some are official, ie NGB and some are not.
1a) Define 'charlatan'. I consider an 8th dan who has never taken an exam since sho dan to be unworthy of holding such a rank. The EJU
has several at this rank who have devoted their judo time
to refereeing and been promoted on 'services to judo' BY THE NGB's....
2) there is a dilemma here with regard associations. Both my parents spent from 1939 to 1945 fighting as teens for their kids to have freedom of choice. The operative word here is choice. What an adult does with his hard earned cash is his business with regard to his legal hobbies.
If we want this freedom of choice we have to accept its limitations. I would rather shop in M&S than lidl any day BUT respect the choice that free people have to spend as they desire. Do we really want big brother to continue to erode our freedoms. We debate judo here NOT surgery at an A&E unit. As I sit here in the comfort of my home with my loved ones do you realise how many people are protecting and fighting for our freedom to make choices? WTF are these teens and young people fighting for if we cant even agree on freedom to choose what associations we decide to join? How petty are we going to get here? To date I have never heard of any member of the public being pressganged into any dojo?
3) Most of the NON NGB associations I know of have a highly content membership
? The social life and social gatherings they organise around their budo practice is generally second to non. When it comes to judoka satisfaction they are second to non AND the vast majority of those associations members are very nice, decent people who are a pleasure to teach and work with. More, just try and prize those members to our NGB dojos? It cant be done as the members of those non NGB associations enjoy what they are involved with. Sounded absurd to me all my judo life bit with age I can now see how many of these associations operate and why the membership is a happy one.
4) An awful lot of NGB dojo focus on championship judo in one form or another. Shiai is a vital element to ones growth in judo. I wrote shiai not the need to attend championships at aged 5 or white obi to try to win a medal. Not everyone enjoys championships so alternatives are fine.
5) In France if people become disenfranchised with their judo or association they either close the dojo or change from judo to another sport like BJJ or Krav mage as the case is today. IF France had options the number of French judoka would be rising rather than diminishing. Believe me, by far not all French judo dojo are happy places to be yet it is THE LAW if you practice judo both your dojo , your dan rank and qualifications are registered with the Government. Unsure how I feel about that? My money, my dojo, my pupils, my free time, my hobby? Mmmm, what is the next step? One can own most
other businesses free from this sort of restrictions?
6) Rank. THE hot potato. This is NEVER going to be resolved in the Western world as the original Japanese philosophy toward the education, teaching practice and grades of judo simply have not, and cannot, travel well. In Japan they don't care what rank you are, no one even asks! What they care about is what one does ON a tatami. Its the judo that counts not the obi.
So many members of Western judo forum desire to see Okano sensei promoted to 9th dan, or whatever. Non of these well wishers take into account the possibility that Okano Sensei has been offered rank and declined it. Secondly to that point do you really think Okano needs any rank at all to be Okano SENSEI? I think without a doubt Okano sensei sleeps very well and doesn't need any rank to be who he is. ALL of us could take a leaf out of his book.
7) Those who wear a rank that is 'questionable' do so at their own peril. Most of those who are uncomfortable in their rank, and yes they do know it, seldom leave the 'safety of their own dojo or dare to work on tatami outside their association. They make themselves prisoners. To that end they are not going to enter our dojo and pollute our members with some magical anti judo syndrome
. My guess would be it would be difficult to even find what is being called a charlatan even in a bloody gi. Don't be so concerned, they don't bit and cant harm us.
I am willing to pay the price to maintain my freedom of choice to allow different judo associations to exist. I don't have to sell my soul to the devil to allow such freedom. I have yet to be infected by any ones judo regardless of association.
Truth be told the percentage of unworthy ranks is a very VERY tiny percentage of the judo population. Leave such judging to those in a court of law and are qualified to do so.
I guess that about it.
You all keep well and never miss a lesson.
Just a PS. I see this puerile system of red and green marking a post is still here. If members disagree with another posters points they should have the bloody minerals to put fingers to key board and challenge that post in writing not just click a red mark. (wait for it)
PS again. Thanks for the red mark, it proves my point. So predictable.
Last edited by Hanon on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS twice.)