E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Historical video ....

BillC

Historical video ....

Post by BillC on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 am

Saw this movie soon after I started judo ... just ran across it while searching for ... of all things ... an itsutsunokata video ...

Almost all Americans go into judo expecting to become samurai, even the adult beginners. Maybe especially the adults. As unrealistic as that is, it is an under-appreciated market as we go around trying to pitch European jacket wrestling to people.

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling
    afulldeck

Re: Historical video ....

Post by afulldeck on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks for finding this little piece. Its completely new to me. Now I'll have to go and find the full version..Don't know how I would have missed it as a teenager...

Post by Davaro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:19 pm

All fun and games until Bronson starts squeezing a wax ball....

http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:08 am

BillC wrote:Saw this movie soon after I started judo ... just ran across it while searching for ... of all things ... an itsutsunokata video ...

Almost all Americans go into judo expecting to become samurai, even the adult beginners.  Maybe especially the adults.  As unrealistic as that is, it is an under-appreciated market as we go around trying to pitch European jacket wrestling to people.

I remember seeing that while watching the movie years ago, on TV. I was like, oooo, Judo wins again !
    Jihef

Post by Jihef on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 pm

BillC wrote:Almost all Americans go into judo expecting to become samurai, even the adult beginners.  Maybe especially the adults.  

As unrealistic as that is, it is an under-appreciated market as we go around trying to pitch European jacket wrestling to people.
    I believe Aikidoka are doing a better job at pitching the samurai thing…

Why "european" jacket wrestling ?

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Jihef wrote:
    BillC wrote:Almost all Americans go into judo expecting to become samurai, even the adult beginners.  Maybe especially the adults.  

As unrealistic as that is, it is an under-appreciated market as we go around trying to pitch European jacket wrestling to people.

Because the IJF is controlled by (eastern) Europeans and it is they who are denuding judo.
    BillC

Post by BillC on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:11 am

Jihef wrote:

About aikido ... you are correct. Unfortunately ... well, let's just say there is a wide variability in aikido ... that sometimes ... well ... let's just say some gots it and some ain't.

Why "European jacket wrestling?" Because Olympic judo is, and because I am being deliberately provocative. Wink

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am