E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Parent "extremely uncomfortable" having her children "bow to that picture on the wall"

petrip

Re: Parent "extremely uncomfortable" having her children "bow to that picture on the wall"

Post by petrip on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Well, this seem to be some sort American thing. within my 40 years of judo I never seen bowing to Kano's picture, so at least Finnish judo comes along just fine without it. And since most training areas are rented by the hour I would say majority of them don't even have picture of Kano anywhere.

This total non-issue if some one wants to bow to Kano picture, fine. Someone does not want to, fine. As long as no one refuses to bow to training partner I really don' see anything in this bowing issue.

Ryvai

Re: Parent "extremely uncomfortable" having her children "bow to that picture on the wall"

Post by Ryvai on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:41 am

Richard Riehle wrote:Judo is not about bowing.

Howdy Richard. In our dojo we also have some Muslims. One of them has a father who is a 'Imam' and leads a place of Islamic worship, so the rules are super strict about bowing. His son was even in his 20's and was still not allowed to bow to anyone other than Allah. We solved the issue by compromise. The rules dictate that they are allowed to bow to other people or even the wall for that matter, just not very low, like they do when praying from their knees. So in line-up and the beginning and end of class he would sit in seiza, with the hands placed on his thighs, and lower his upper body and head to show his respect to the sensei. He would also be allowed to bow to the picture of kano and other students, just not deeply, like we do from the knees. For us this is okay, as his religion dictates this by rule, however it does not stop him from showing his fellow students, sensei and kano the mutual respect they deserve, which reigi is all about. What do you think about this compromise? Smile

Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am

Ryvai wrote:
    Richard Riehle wrote:Judo is not about bowing.

Howdy Richard. In our dojo we also have some Muslims. One of them has a father who is a 'Imam' and leads a place of Islamic worship, so the rules are super strict about bowing. His son was even in his 20's and was still not allowed to bow to anyone other than Allah. We solved the issue by compromise. The rules dictate that they are allowed to bow to other people or even the wall for that matter, just not very low, like they do when praying from their knees. So in line-up and the beginning and end of class he would sit in seiza, with the hands placed on his thighs, and lower his upper body and head to show his respect to the sensei. He would also be allowed to bow to the picture of kano and other students, just not deeply, like we do from the knees. For us this is okay, as his religion dictates this by rule, however it does not stop him from showing his fellow students, sensei and kano the mutual respect they deserve, which reigi is all about. What do you think about this compromise? Smile

Religion is a very personal thing. We cannot rule-out the personal nature of it. For those who do not want to bow to a picture of Jigoro Kano for religious reasons, we do not require it. In fact, because our dojo is on military base, we are required by law to abide by the religious preferences of our members. Although most of us do not see bowing to Kano-shihan as a religious issue, some of our members do. For my part, I would rather have them active in Judo instead of not active in Judo.

Bowing to Jigoro Kano is a tradition, not a requirement, for learning and practicing good Judo. Bowing is a Japanese tradition, not a universal tradition. I have never had a problem with it. However, Judo, while of Japanese origin, is now a world-wide activity that crosses many cultural and religious boundaries. If any member, whether Muslim, conservative Christian, Buddhist, or whatever, decides for religious or cultural reasons that the cannot accept the practice of bowing to a photo of Jigoro Kano, they are still welcome to practice Judo in our dojo. As stated earlier, the fact is that we may not demand that they violate their religious conscience because of our being a Federally sponsored institution, and by the rules of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:50 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 am