E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Share
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by JudoStu on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

    I've been having physio for the last 7 weeks on my left elbow as I developed a pain in the inside of my elbow, right where the funny bone is. Throughout most of the treatment my physio has allowed me to continue to do Judo and lift weights but as it got not better he told me two weeks ago to cease all excercise.

    I just wondered if any of you guys have experianced golfers elbow before and how your treatment went.
    Any tips would be appreciated with regards to quickining up the healing process


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 pm

    JudoStu wrote:I've been having physio for the last 7 weeks on my left elbow as I developed a pain in the inside of my elbow, right where the funny bone is. Throughout most of the treatment my physio has allowed me to continue to do Judo and lift weights but as it got not better he told me two weeks ago to cease all excercise.

    I just wondered if any of you guys have experianced golfers elbow before and how your treatment went.
    Any tips would be appreciated with regards to quickining up the healing process

    There exists an extensive scholarly article on precisely this problem in jûdôka. The reference is: The elbow joint of the judoist: The treatment of persistent tendinitis. Geneeskd. Sport. (Hol.) 27, 3: 78 86, 1994. The journal's ISSN number is: 0016-6448. Unfortunately it is not written in English, but in Dutch although it does have an English translation. There exist various other articles which are easier to find and in English but --to the best of my knowledge-- none that were specifically written about the problem in jûdôka. Also, many of the articles are not really written for the individual, but for researchers or physicians and deal with hypothesis about the mechanisms involved or epidemiological data. As you may recall from some of my posts on the old forum, if you are living in the US you might get frustrated by the articles, since for obscure reasons many of the drugs (especially ointments) are not on the market in the US.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

    DougNZ

    Posts : 399
    Join date : 2013-01-28

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by DougNZ on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 am

    I was injured years ago with a poor kotegaeshi / shiho nage throw that resulted in tennis elbow and golfers elbow.  It took about six months to come right, after a course of cortisone. I'm not sure what was worse; the technique which caused the injury, an arm twist in a grading three weeks later which re-aggravated the injury, or the long needle they slipped between the bones of the elbow joint to deliver the cortisone!!!

    BTW, injured ligaments on the inside elbow is tennis elbow (think stress caused during a forehand swing). Try an elbow support during training for a while but be careful not to let it become a crutch. Try gentle training without the support every now and again.

    Good luck with the recovery.
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:02 am

    Maybe someone saved or has a link to the posts I wrote on this problem on the old JF. Because they were rather extensive I feel very little motivation to write it out all again. Hope you will forgive me, no hard feelings.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by JudoStu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 am

    DougNZ wrote:I was injured years ago with a poor kotegaeshi / shiho nage throw that resulted in tennis elbow and golfers elbow.  It took about six months to come right, after a course of cortisone. I'm not sure what was worse; the technique which caused the injury, an arm twist in a grading three weeks later which re-aggravated the injury, or the long needle they slipped between the bones of the elbow joint to deliver the cortisone!!!

    BTW, injured ligaments on the inside elbow is tennis elbow (think stress caused during a forehand swing).  Try an elbow support during training for a while but be careful not to let it become a crutch.  Try gentle training without the support every now and again.

    Good luck with the recovery.

    Hi, thanks for your reply. Was there any particular stretching or excercises that you thought made a difference or was it only the cortisone that did the trick?

    BTW Tennis elbow is on the outside http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_elbow
    Golfers Elbow is inside http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golfer's_elbow
    Not that what we call it makes any difference Smile


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by BillC on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:10 am

    Of course there's the golf joke about the guy who goes for treatment of his elbow only to find out his physician had been replaced by a machine ...

    "and if you don't stop, that elbow's never gonna heal."


    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by JudoStu on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm

    BillC wrote:Of course there's the golf joke about the guy who goes for treatment of his elbow only to find out his physician had been replaced by a machine ...

    "and if you don't stop, that elbow's never gonna heal."

    The physio thinks it might actually be a trapped nerve between my neck and my hand that is refering the pain to my elbow??
    Anyway, I have been given some stretches to do 3 times a day and was told to resume excercise, providing it doesnt cause me any discomfort.


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by BillC on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:43 pm

    JudoStu wrote:

    The physio thinks it might actually be a trapped nerve between my neck and my hand that is refering the pain to my elbow??
    Anyway, I have been given some stretches to do 3 times a day and was told to resume excercise, providing it doesnt cause me any discomfort.

    Take care of that neck, amigo. A size 18 shirt is what judo men are made of, also our weakest link.


    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling

    Sponsored content

    Re: Elbow Tendinitis (Golfers Elbow) – Any suggestions?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 am