E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Scared to start Judo

Raj Venugopal

Re: Scared to start Judo

Post by Raj Venugopal on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:21 am

Another person here (JudoStu) and I started in our late 30s, and we're now in our early 40s having earned shodans through training and competition. Different clubs... It can be done, easily. Starting judo depends a bit on the club. A competition club can have some pretty rough conditioning. But I think there is a certain element of just doing it. Dealing with failure, learning and abiding your limits, and pushing yourself are part of the hard break-in period. I've had my ass kicked repeatedly. One of the seniors footswept me so hard I flipped head over heels a few times. I've had injuries galore. I've been destroyed at comps, I've slunk off the square with my tail between my legs, I've barfed my brains out during practice. But now I'm quite a bit tougher, and am starting to hold my own. There really is an element of Stacey's thoughts on this, and it can be frustrating to some people to hear others asking to be encouraged to step on the mat. But give it a try, if you haven't already. Judo is different than muy thai.

hobit

Post by hobit on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:30 am

I started Judo January this year as a 37 yr old competitive Cyclist I survive on the fitness, Die on the strength and spend a lot time whimpering on the floor of my front room stretching tired muscles. I started to help a friend get fit, He has stopped due to work, I kept going, 11 months later, where am I? Well I have a load of new friends, Some new confidence. Been graded twice and am now 5 Kyu/Yellow belt. I have done 2 competitions, (Lost 10 Won 2) Torn a Shoulder ligament in the last match in the first Comp, twigged a medial ligament over doing it with younger ones. Bruises? Well some Fridays it looks like I was beaten up. Lost 11kg/24lbs. Am I Loving it? Yes! I get grumpy if I miss a week! I'm old but I love the training, the technical challenges (In many ways getting graded stopped me looking for knowledge in pursuit of gradings). I have a 5 year plan to sit my Sho-Dan (1st Dan if I get that wrong). I landed at a great club first time. Try one In England coaches qualifications cover you for 4 weeks try it before you join. If that doesn't seem right try another...

hobit

Post by hobit on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:32 am

Bravery is not doing something
    Bravery is doing it despite being scared...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm