E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Did my first session

oldkx

Did my first session

Post by oldkx on Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 am

I found a local club that I liked the look of and did my first Judo session this week. It was more physically demanding than any other martial art I've done before and I'm aching in places I didn't know I had. Can't wait til next week.

tommy2days

Re: Did my first session

Post by tommy2days on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:01 am

Cool! If you dont mind me asking, how old are are you? I am 45 and looking to take my first class also. I have trained in Bjj for 1 1/2 yrs and very active, but I know Judo training is very intense. Thanks. Tom

oldkx

Post by oldkx on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:58 am

tommy2days wrote:Cool! If you dont mind me asking, how old are are you? I am 45 and looking to take my first class also. I have trained in Bjj for 1 1/2 yrs and very active, but I know Judo training is very intense. Thanks. Tom

Hi Tom, I'm 42. Your BJJ training will help with Judo. I've done a few martial arts in the past and currently train JJJ which definitely helped me with my first class. Judo feels different though, for a couple of days I was aching all over. I say go for it, you'll probably love it. All the best.
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:56 am

I started Judo at 37 (now almost 42) and still loving it. Like you I had done many other martial arts and agree Judo is the hardest on the body. Just take it easy, keep turning up and it will get better

Stacey

Post by Stacey on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:57 pm

One of the big differences is falling. Even if you've done falling before, you probably haven't done it like this, and that will get you hurting/aching bigger than anything I know. You also don't get the uchi komis like you do in judo - it's different in BJJ and JJJ in that you don't get the reps standing, and in BJJ - you generally don't get the standing, especially at the intensity.

Work on technique, technique, technique, and relaxing. One of the big things beginners, especially older beginners have a problem with is being stiff; it's like you have to learn to relax with each new move you learn, and it takes longer to learn the moves and to relax. Tightening up - boy that'll get you sore quickly.

Best bet - prophylactic doses of Motrin/Aleve/Ibuprofen. Take a dose before bed to make sure you're not so stiff in the morning you're having a problem getting out of bed. Also, make sure you take your time in the shower - it's not just good for prevention of infections, it's also good for loosening up muscles. I prefer a bath, nice and hot. Some people like cold to reduce swelling. Whatever works for you is what you should do - just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do it.

Judo after a certain age is tough, but it's great fun. Keep at it.

tommy2days

Post by tommy2days on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 am

Stacey wrote:One of the big differences is falling.  Even if you've done falling before, you probably haven't done it like this, and that will get you hurting/aching bigger than anything I know.  You also don't get the uchi komis like you do in judo - it's different in BJJ and JJJ in that you don't get the reps standing, and in BJJ - you generally don't get the standing, especially at the intensity.

Work on technique, technique, technique, and relaxing.  One of the big things beginners, especially older beginners have a problem with is being stiff; it's like you have to learn to relax with each new move you learn, and it takes longer to learn the moves and to relax.  Tightening up - boy that'll get you sore quickly.

Best bet - prophylactic doses of Motrin/Aleve/Ibuprofen.  Take a dose before bed to make sure you're not so stiff in the morning you're having a problem getting out of bed.  Also, make sure you take your time in the shower - it's not just good for prevention of infections, it's also good for loosening up muscles.  I prefer a bath, nice and hot.  Some people like cold to reduce swelling.  Whatever works for you is what you should do - just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do it.

Judo after a certain age is tough, but it's great fun.  Keep at it.

Thank you Stacey. My hands are really sore, but overall I feel good. My first Randori was on Friday. Thanks again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm