E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Te uchimata

Emanuele2

Te uchimata

Post by Emanuele2 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:38 am

Back in 2007-2008-2009 when direct leg attack were allowed, could a judoka have used te uchi mata?
    Te uchi mata is an aikido/ju jutsu technique - like an uchi mata but performed with the hand/arm.

NBK

Re: Te uchimata

Post by NBK on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 am

Sure. I've done it in instruction to point out that proper kuzushi allows even a simple backhand sweep to finish off uke.

Do it today, stick your head in a bit, and call it kata guruma. No one's going to call you on the legs, but good luck against a switched on opponent.

NBK

Ryvai

Post by Ryvai on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Emanuele2 wrote:Back in 2007-2008-2009 when direct leg attack were allowed, could a judoka have used te uchi mata?
    Te uchi mata is an aikido/ju jutsu technique - like an uchi mata but performed with the hand/arm.

Is the 'te-uchi-mata' the same as the one the Kodokan are referring too under; waza-named apt to be used incorrectly, or a different one?

http://kodokan.org/e_waza/index.html#zokusho

But to answer your question, I don't see any reason why it should not have been allowed under the rules of that time? If someone were skilled enough to pull it off in competition it would be highlighted for sure. Mifune-sensei did his 'tama-guruma' by just placing his hand on the outside to block in a similar way. It looks very fancy :p

Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Ryvai wrote:

Is the 'te-uchi-mata' the same as the one the Kodokan are referring too under; waza-named apt to be used incorrectly, or a different one?

http://kodokan.org/e_waza/index.html#zokusho

But to answer your question, I don't see any reason why it should not have been allowed under the rules of that time? If someone were skilled enough to pull it off in competition it would be highlighted for sure. Mifune-sensei did his 'tama-guruma' by just placing his hand on the outside to block in a similar way. It looks very fancy :p

What falls under aikidô's te-uchi-mata in Kôdôkan jûdô does not fall under the name of a single principle. It depends on how it is performed precisely. Consequently, in 90% of the cases if falls under either kata-guruma, te-guruma or tama-guruma.

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

JudoStu

Post by JudoStu on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:55 am

The Uke in that video seemed very compliant. Would this work against someone who was resisting?
    In fact does Aikido work against fully resisting opponents? serious question btw.

Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 am

JudoStu wrote:The Uke in that video seemed very compliant. Would this work against someone who was resisting?
    In fact does Aikido work against fully resisting opponents? serious question btw.

Basic judo you know has a much, much higher chance of success in reality.

Davaro

Post by Davaro on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:35 am

JudoStu wrote:The Uke in that video seemed very compliant. Would this work against someone who was resisting?

Steven Segal (Lawman) seems to think so...

*just kidding... I know nothing about Aikido so it would be unfair to comment

http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/

beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:55 pm

here is taraje willimas murray doing a similar move a few years back,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EilNRr66zIE

its not the same but it is similiair and pretty strange

medo

Post by medo on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 am

In my observations and limited aikido mat time the main principle seems to be to accelerate the opponents upper body faster than his lower body to do that to a well trained judoka requires a huge amount of skill and luck most judoka would just plant a foot snatch back the arm and turn away.
    What your seeing is a well practice uke who goes with the technique, in a street type encounter uke would unlikely tuck his head lower than his legs and do a roll if tori was able to to accelerate ukes upper body uke would likely not tuck his head and he would face plant as he stumbles to the ground.
    Aikido is one of the arts that requires years and years of practice to develop skills that may work in a self defence capacity.
    I stand to be corrected though.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:11 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm