E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Share
    avatar
    Jihef

    Posts : 169
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : Brussels, Belgium

    Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Post by Jihef on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:17 pm

    jkw wrote:Please bear in mind that you don't know anything about the person you are responding to - their age, life experience, psychological background - nothing. Yet in a real life conversation you would likely temper your response in light of those factors.

    Given that you can't know someone's background, it is prudent to assume the worse (not that I'm arguing the case for Wandering WB - I'm simply making a point that from the point of view of the forum that person might have all kinds of learning, psychological and character difficulties that posters are unaware of and could - inadvertently - cause them harm).
    Hello all,
    The recent "arguments" someplace else on this Forum reminded me of something that could be of interest over here.

    In many online fora, it is commonplace to ask (prospective) members to write a succint presentation as their first post.

    It doesn't have to be a fully comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, mind you, but usually contains the age (or the age range, for the ancients Razz ), activity, experience and related interests. **

    I really believe this could be of help, here and now.

    Cheers,
    J-F.

    edit:
    ** This "presentation topic" is reviewed by a moderator, and when cleared, the new member can then post away. Very Happy


    _________________
    judoratt wrote: "You need a quality instructor to learn this. No one should try to learn judo from the internet."
     study

    Gus

    Posts : 137
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Post by Gus on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:44 am

    Hi ,
    The problem is - online - people can just lie. How would you know anything they say is true ? To really do it properly you'd need to demand a CRB check - and that would be ridiculous and costly.  I at one point suggested that people should have to reveal their true identities in order to post on the forum but it was not popular . Opponents to the idea say that if a man has a mask he will be more honest. Often though I think its because they have something to hide but sometimes they may be subject to unjust persecution. Its unlikely to change here I think - any suggestion of being vetted - even in private by a moderator - meets with a curious amount of hostility - as is demonstrated by a red mark next to your post for just making a suggestion. The other thing is there's a lot of creeps online - you might be honest about your identity - but they wouldnt and might try and cause you harm from the protection of their fake identity. Id drop it to be honest.
    avatar
    Jihef

    Posts : 169
    Join date : 2013-09-06
    Location : Brussels, Belgium

    Re: Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Post by Jihef on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:13 pm

    Gus wrote:Hi ,
    The problem is - online - people can just lie. How would you know anything they say is true ? To really do it properly you'd need to demand a CRB check - and that would be ridiculous and costly.  I at one point suggested that people should have to reveal their true identities in order to post on the forum but it was not popular . Opponents to the idea say that if a man has a mask he will be more honest. Often though I think its because they have something to hide but sometimes they may be subject to unjust persecution. Its unlikely to change here I think - any suggestion of being vetted - even in private by a moderator - meets with a curious amount of hostility - as is demonstrated by a red mark next to your post for just making a suggestion. The other thing is there's a lot of creeps online - you might be honest about your identity - but they wouldnt and might try and cause you harm from the protection of their fake identity. Id drop it to be honest.
    Hi,
    One of the fora I regularly visit has that practice as a rule.
    You do not have to reveal your real name or rank, or prove anything. Just tell a bit about your "martial" (or sporting) background, experience, relevant interests, etc.
    Of course, the usual suspects know who is who, and those who can read between the lines have a pretty good idea of everyone else's level or knowledge.

    Since it is mandatory, every poster's first ever post is his presentation*; pretty useful to have an idea of whom you are having an online conversation with.
    It is a feature most useful for the newcomers, or people with no knowledge in the subject, who might wonder who is answering their questions. What a Face

    * I know, I know, too late for that here…

    (s) Mr. Red Stripe Wink


    _________________
    judoratt wrote: "You need a quality instructor to learn this. No one should try to learn judo from the internet."
     study

    Gus

    Posts : 137
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Post by Gus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 pm

    Jihef wrote:
    Gus wrote:Hi ,
    The problem is - online - people can just lie. How would you know anything they say is true ? To really do it properly you'd need to demand a CRB check - and that would be ridiculous and costly.  I at one point suggested that people should have to reveal their true identities in order to post on the forum but it was not popular . Opponents to the idea say that if a man has a mask he will be more honest. Often though I think its because they have something to hide but sometimes they may be subject to unjust persecution. Its unlikely to change here I think - any suggestion of being vetted - even in private by a moderator - meets with a curious amount of hostility - as is demonstrated by a red mark next to your post for just making a suggestion. The other thing is there's a lot of creeps online - you might be honest about your identity - but they wouldnt and might try and cause you harm from the protection of their fake identity. Id drop it to be honest.
    Hi,
    One of the fora I regularly visit has that practice as a rule.
    You do not have to reveal your real name or rank, or prove anything. Just tell a bit about your "martial" (or sporting) background, experience, relevant interests, etc.
    Of course, the usual suspects know who is who, and those who can read between the lines have a pretty good idea of everyone else's level or knowledge.

    Since it is mandatory, every poster's first ever post is his presentation*; pretty useful to have an idea of whom you are having an online conversation with.
    It is a feature most useful for the newcomers, or people with no knowledge in the subject, who might wonder who is answering their questions. What a Face

    * I know, I know, too late for that here…

    (s) Mr. Red Stripe Wink

    seems pretty reasonable - incidently - Im a brown belt being Judo for about 8 years. I train quite a lot normally - at least 4 times a week but this last month havent had a chance. My favourite technique is ko-ouchi gari Smile

    Sponsored content

    Re: Forum Members -Required Presentation

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 am