December 7, 1941

afja_lm139

December 7, 1941

Post by afja_lm139 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 am

http://moonbattery.com/graphics/arizona-pearl-harbor.jpg
    BillC

Re: December 7, 1941

Post by BillC on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Spent the evening of the 7th day of December in Tokyo with Sugata Sanshiro (the JF one), NBK and the lovely, erudite Mrs. NBK.

That it was the "day that shall live in infamy" was lost on my dinner companions I could tell, but the subject did come up indirectly.

That it is now easy to forget in the midst of a gathering of Japanese and Americans is not entirely a bad thing.

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:17 am

BillC wrote:Spent the evening of the 7th day of December in Tokyo with Sugata Sanshiro (the JF one), NBK and the lovely, erudite Mrs. NBK.

That it was the "day that shall live in infamy" was lost on my dinner companions I could tell, but the subject did come up indirectly.

That it is now easy to forget in the midst of a gathering of Japanese and Americans is not entirely a bad thing.

George Santayana
    BillC

Post by BillC on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm

afja_lm139 wrote:
    BillC wrote:Spent the evening of the 7th day of December in Tokyo with Sugata Sanshiro (the JF one), NBK and the lovely, erudite Mrs. NBK.

George Santayana

While forgetting the past entirely is certainly a mistake, living in someone else's past without ever letting go is a worse one. My father died having finally faced his demons (thanks is part to Louis Zamperini years ago), though I cannot say he entirely exorcised them. In any case, he clearly never intended them to be mine.

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:51 pm