E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Stripes and blocks on belt

    Share

    davidn

    Posts : 32
    Join date : 2013-01-09
    Age : 45
    Location : northern CA

    Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by davidn on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm

    This past summer, I attended a workshop at a friends dojo where some instructors from Japan were teaching. They had this small patches on end of belt and the end of the lapel (below the belt at end of skirt) that were sewn on. They had blocks and stripes that indicated their rank (a block was 5 degrees, the stripes were one degree each. The main teach was 7th degree and had a block and 2 stripes). Only the Japanese instructors had these, so I presumed that they are common (or more common) in Japan.

    Is there someplace I could purchase these? (A very helpful friend was recently promoted, and while his belt will not change, I'd like to get him a small token that reflects his new level)

    Thanks for any help.
    avatar
    Jonesy

    Posts : 1006
    Join date : 2013-01-02

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Jonesy on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:47 am

    They are these, and are not that common in Japan.



    USJA has their own equivalent: https://secure.usja-judo.org/home/RANK/tabid/119/ProductID/72/Default.aspx


    _________________
    ジョーンズ
    avatar
    luizpavani

    Posts : 8
    Join date : 2014-12-13
    Age : 134
    Location : Santa Maria, RS, Brazil

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by luizpavani on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:50 pm

    Jonesy, would you happen to know if those are exclusively worn by kodokan dan holders? Thanks.
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by BillC on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:44 pm

    Had on my obi up to sandan. My sensei passed away, I moved, traditions at the new dojo were different.

    If I recall correctly, they are for sale in the Kodokan shop. I'll check next week if this is really a big mystery.

    Cheers.


    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling
    avatar
    Jonesy

    Posts : 1006
    Join date : 2013-01-02

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Jonesy on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:35 pm

    I have seen people who hold Dan rank not from the Kodokan wear these. Not many mind you.


    _________________
    ジョーンズ

    tafftaz

    Posts : 330
    Join date : 2012-12-31
    Age : 52
    Location : Wales, UK

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by tafftaz on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 am

    I have seen many gold bars on belts representing dan grades in the UK. Myself, and most of the guys I train with (and jonesy knows one or two of them) have never had any stripes on our obi.
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 546
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Stacey on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:44 pm

    my obi is plain old black. Well, kinda graying, like me, I guess. I don't wear the stripe down the middle, and I don't advertise my dan. Tradition of other dojo may make it necessary for some to wear a stripe down the middle, or dan rank designation, but really, when you're on the floor, you know who's who. And, I've never needed a white stripe down the middle to determine who's female, and who's not. But, that's a different issue.

    You want it, and it's not a tradition of your dojo, ask your sensei. If s/he allows, and you feel you need it, go ahead. Personally, outside of your dojo tradition, I don't see the need.
    avatar
    NBK

    Posts : 1097
    Join date : 2013-01-10
    Location : Tokyo, Japan

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by NBK on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:33 pm

    I guess it's optional for some folks, I know a couple that were given as congratulatory presentations.

    Mostly a way for the uniform companies to add a bit of profit and differentiate their offerings from others', I reckon.
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by BillC on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 pm

    Stacey wrote:my obi is plain old black. Well, kinda graying, like me, I guess. I don't wear the stripe down the middle, and I don't advertise my dan. Tradition of other dojo may make it necessary for some to wear a stripe down the middle, or dan rank designation, but really, when you're on the floor, you know who's who. And, I've never needed a white stripe down the middle to determine who's female, and who's not. But, that's a different issue.

    You want it, and it's not a tradition of your dojo, ask your sensei. If s/he allows, and you feel you need it, go ahead. Personally, outside of your dojo tradition, I don't see the need.

    The striped patches I think that are being discussed are tiny little things ... the size of the brand tag or the Kodokan emblem on the bottom of the judogi or the belt, usually sewn over the top of those.  Not the big, ostentatious stripes one sees on some combat sport or martial arts belts.

    The ones I received were indeed as NBK noted, a gift from my sensei ... as in "here, you are sandan now." (Shortly before he passed ... take note when your sensei starts giving his stuff away.)

    I think in unfamiliar environments it's a kind of courtesy to others, kind of like the name on the obi or uwagi that one can peek at when you don't remember the name of the thirty people you just met, half of whose names start with "Matsu-."  It's also handy to take a peek "oh ... hachidan ... yikes."

    But you know what, Stacey, take away the colors and the big stripes and I actually kind of like the scroll-work belts you showed elsewhere.  Black on black and they might be interesting without breaking the bonds of good taste.


    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 546
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Stacey on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:19 pm

    BillC wrote:
    Stacey wrote:my obi is plain old black. Well, kinda graying, like me, I guess. I don't wear the stripe down the middle, and I don't advertise my dan. Tradition of other dojo may make it necessary for some to wear a stripe down the middle, or dan rank designation, but really, when you're on the floor, you know who's who. And, I've never needed a white stripe down the middle to determine who's female, and who's not. But, that's a different issue.

    You want it, and it's not a tradition of your dojo, ask your sensei. If s/he allows, and you feel you need it, go ahead. Personally, outside of your dojo tradition, I don't see the need.

    The striped patches I think that are being discussed are tiny little things ... the size of the brand tag or the Kodokan emblem on the bottom of the judogi or the belt, usually sewn over the top of those.  Not the big, ostentatious stripes one sees on some combat sport or martial arts belts.

    The ones I received were indeed as NBK noted, a gift from my sensei ... as in "here, you are sandan now."  (Shortly before he passed ... take note when your sensei starts giving his stuff away.)

    I think in unfamiliar environments it's a kind of courtesy to others, kind of like the name on the obi or uwagi that one can peek at when you don't remember the name of the thirty people you just met, half of whose names start with "Matsu-."  It's also handy to take a peek "oh ... hachidan ... yikes."

    But you know what, Stacey, take away the colors and the big stripes and I actually kind of like the scroll-work belts you showed elsewhere.  Black on black and they might be interesting without breaking the bonds of good taste.

    Name on belt or gi, I understand, having lot at least 4 blue and white belts at a tournament once. Won't be as apt to disappear with a name on them. Understand it with gi, too - anything that let's you say unequivocally, that's little Johnny's gi, and that's little Suzi's gi - makes things a lot more simple. And, it stays the same no matter what rank somebody is, so when little Johnny takes the next color belt, his name stays the same.

    I believe the USJA sells these little belt end patches for rank, a la BJJ, if anybody in the states wants one. And yeah, much more subtle than 7 foot belt ends covered with glow in the dark 3 inch wide hi-viz yellowish-greenish-orangeish pronunciations of rank. But, like I said, if you need to get one for yourself, then why? If there's no problem distinguishing your gi and obi from somebody else's (your name is not enough), and it's not a custom of your dojo, then why?

    Fwiw, I thought that bit of embroidery on those bjj belts was actually pretty interesting. More subtle, and it'd be really attractive. But, we're talking bjj, so....

    For others, this is what we're talking about:

    avatar
    afja_lm139

    Posts : 125
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 76

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by afja_lm139 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:49 pm

    like this?

    avatar
    NBK

    Posts : 1097
    Join date : 2013-01-10
    Location : Tokyo, Japan

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by NBK on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 am

    Stacey wrote:
    BillC wrote:
    Stacey wrote:my obi is plain old black. Well, kinda graying, like me, I guess. I don't wear the stripe down the middle, and I don't advertise my dan. Tradition of other dojo may make it necessary for some to wear a stripe down the middle, or dan rank designation, but really, when you're on the floor, you know who's who. And, I've never needed a white stripe down the middle to determine who's female, and who's not. But, that's a different issue.

    You want it, and it's not a tradition of your dojo, ask your sensei. If s/he allows, and you feel you need it, go ahead. Personally, outside of your dojo tradition, I don't see the need.

    The striped patches I think that are being discussed are tiny little things ... the size of the brand tag or the Kodokan emblem on the bottom of the judogi or the belt, usually sewn over the top of those.  Not the big, ostentatious stripes one sees on some combat sport or martial arts belts.

    The ones I received were indeed as NBK noted, a gift from my sensei ... as in "here, you are sandan now."  (Shortly before he passed ... take note when your sensei starts giving his stuff away.)

    I think in unfamiliar environments it's a kind of courtesy to others, kind of like the name on the obi or uwagi that one can peek at when you don't remember the name of the thirty people you just met, half of whose names start with "Matsu-."  It's also handy to take a peek "oh ... hachidan ... yikes."

    But you know what, Stacey, take away the colors and the big stripes and I actually kind of like the scroll-work belts you showed elsewhere.  Black on black and they might be interesting without breaking the bonds of good taste.

    Name on belt or gi, I understand, having lot at least 4 blue and white belts at a tournament once. Won't be as apt to disappear with a name on them. Understand it with gi, too - anything that let's you say unequivocally, that's little Johnny's gi, and that's little Suzi's gi - makes things a lot more simple. And, it stays the same no matter what rank somebody is, so when little Johnny takes the next color belt, his name stays the same.

    I believe the USJA sells these little belt end patches for rank, a la BJJ, if anybody in the states wants one. And yeah, much more subtle than 7 foot belt ends covered with glow in the dark 3 inch wide hi-viz yellowish-greenish-orangeish pronunciations of rank. But, like I said, if you need to get one for yourself, then why? If there's no problem distinguishing your gi and obi from somebody else's (your name is not enough), and it's not a custom of your dojo, then why?

    Fwiw, I thought that bit of embroidery on those bjj belts was actually pretty interesting. More subtle, and it'd be really attractive. But, we're talking bjj, so....

    For others, this is what we're talking about:

    oh my gosh.... looks like some paisley ties I had in high school.....
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 546
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Stacey on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am

    NBK wrote:
    oh my gosh.... looks like some paisley ties I had in high school.....

    Think if they did something subtle - shades of gray on a bb, not so showy colors on the blue or purple belt. Subtle - could be pretty cool
    avatar
    Steve Leadbeater

    Posts : 185
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 61
    Location : Sydney Australia

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Steve Leadbeater on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:24 am

    I always believed that a Large Block and two stripes indicated a Vice Admiral What a Face

    Sponsored content

    Re: Stripes and blocks on belt

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 pm