E-Judo

Judo network and forum

The early days of Judo in Czechoslovak Republic (and the contribution of the London Budokwai)

Reinberger

Re: The early days of Judo in Czechoslovak Republic (and the contribution of the London Budokwai)

Post by Reinberger on Tue May 10, 2016 2:01 am

I think it's Sarah Mayer in action together with Hatta Ichiro (one of the leading exponents of the Japanese combination of Jūdō/freestyle-wrestling I wrote about in my last post), that we can see here (starting at 4:53) in an Austrian newsreel from 1935 (from "Oesterreichisches Filmmuseum"):

https://player.vimeo.com/video/83847608?color=c64498#t=4m53s

Here is something about Hatta Ichiro from Joseph Svinth's "Journal of Combative Sports":

http://ejmas.com/jcs/2005jcs/jcsart_hatta_1205.html

And something about the acquaintanceship between Mayer and Hatta from a letter Sarah Mayer wrote to Gunji Koizumi in 1934, published at the same site:

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_mayer1_0400.htm

Reinberger

Dobó on air in Czechoslovakian Radio

Post by Reinberger on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 pm

In 1935 and 1936, F.S. Dobó appeared several times on different Czechoslovakian radio stations:

On Saturday, February 17th, 1935 Dobó, together with a certain Stein, had a discussion about Jiu-Jitsu at 14:50 on Radio Prague II.

On Thursday, January 30th of 1936, at 18:30 Dobó held a lecture titled "Defend yourself (Jiu-Jitsu)" on Radio Brno.

Then there was a radio broadcast on Sunday February 21st, 1936, at 18:40, were Dobó talked about "Something from 'Jiu-Jitsu' " on Radio Bratislava.

Sources are different issues of the Viennese radio program guide "Radio Wien".

noboru

new photos with judo/jujutsu czech pioneers (years 1934)

Post by noboru on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Thank you a lot Robert.

They are from archive of Mr. Frantisek Illek. Date of photos 2.11.1934. They are from Jiujitsu lessons in Straka academy lead by Mr. F.S. Dobó.

Reinberger

Re: The early days of Judo in Czechoslovak Republic (and the contribution of the London Budokwai)

Post by Reinberger on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Thank you, Petr!

Did you notice, that on those pictures Dobo wears similar wrestling trousers - reinforced with leather at the knees - Higashi Katsukuma and others wore very often, 30 years earlier?

Another thing, that did catch my eye, was the "snappish" way, Dobo wore his obi-knot. Josef Ebetshuber, a prominent Austrian JJ-teacher, who has started training in 1925, always wore his knot in a similar fashion (more to one side than in the center) the whole life, until his death in 1988. I think that is something, that was in vogue in Europe since the interwar period.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:02 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:02 pm