E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Introducing myself - ground fight

Missflying

Introducing myself - ground fight

Post by Missflying on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 am

Hello Smile Well my name is Lacy, i'm 15 years old and I do judo for 5 years.

I wanted some advices because I'm terrible on the ground. And because of that my friends with whom I started judo have a better level than me.
    I'm quite good at throwing, but everytime it goes on the ground I get caught in a submission and fail to escape :/
    Davaro

Re: Introducing myself - ground fight

Post by Davaro on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 am

Hello Lacy

Welcome to the forum Smile

It is extremely difficult to give advice particular to you when we have no way of seeing you in action and thus seeing what it is you are doing. Hope you understand this? Have you spoken to Sensei about this? He/She may be the best chance you have of improving...

The best and perhaps only advice I can give you (or anyone else, without actually working with them) is to relax!! A lot of folks struggle in newaza because they are trying to use power instead of technique. If you try to use power alone, you tire very quickly and this makes it difficult to do anything. Also, You must think of newaza like chess. Always try to think a few moves ahead. This is applicable when you are attacking or defending.

Well, not much but I hope you can take something from this.

Most important, dont get despondent and keep trying and learning. Judo is not always about winning or beating others, but more about improving yourself which you are trying to do so you are a winner anyway!

http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/

PointyShinyBurning

Post by PointyShinyBurning on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Have you asked your partners who are catching you all the time for some tips? They're very well placed to understand the mistakes you're making.
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:30 am

PointyShinyBurning wrote:Have you asked your partners who are catching you all the time for some tips? They're very well placed to understand the mistakes you're making.

This. I usually ask my partner what mistake I did, when it is not obvious to me how I got caught Smile

GregW

Post by GregW on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Physical strength is more of an advantage on the ground than it is in standing technique.  Ground technique also develops faster than throwing does.  Going to newaza is often a good strategy when confronting a more advanced opponent of equal size and strength.  

When I was a teenager, I was tall and skinny--not much upper body strength.  Like you, I could throw well, but on the ground I could get easily overpowered.  My strategy used to be, if I was taken to the ground after a missed throw, I would quickly scramble out and get back to my feet again.  It allowed me to defeat much stronger, larger guys, but I hated that I didn't have the technique to win on the ground.

Over time, I realized that the principles of standing judo work on the ground as well.  I had never been taught it in that way; I had to figure it out for myself.  Basically, to throw someone, you need to get him off balance, control the space, and apply an effective technique at the right moment.  The same works on the ground.  You have to break uke's balance to offset a strength advantage.  You have to keep adequate space in which to maneuver or uke can overpower you.  

In standing technique, we practice combinations--two or three throws in sequence or a throw into a hold.  Consider practicing ground combinations for the situation in which you get dragged down by a strong uke or miss a throw.  For example, practice quickly getting into guard as a temporary defensive position and immediately transition it to an arm bar or choke.  Don't give uke the time to do a guard pass and pin you.  When you are going down, you already have the sequence rehearsed.  Then you can react quickly before uke can begin to apply his technique.

Another tip is to learn to use your legs effectively.  I learned this as a wrestler. My legs are much stronger than any opponent's arms.  You can use butterfly guard as an offensive technique to sweep an aggressor from the top position and either get back to your feet or go on the attack on the ground.  There are a number of leg techniques like sankaku jime, ashi gatame, hiza gatame, and others that will allow you to fend off someone stronger.

Another thing you can do is observe other players who are successful on the ground, especially if they are about your size and weight, and watch what they do.  Pay attention to how they control balance, space, and what techniques they apply.  If you are conscious of these things when you watch, you'll be able to emulate it in randori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCfD2zV2Z9k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHoBaxgRyA&list=PLrZMyKW4N7FUww2EDCBJq7MpnxYuTGdm1

jkw

Post by jkw on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:04 am

Missflying wrote:Hello Smile Well my name is Lacy, i'm 15 years old and I do judo for 5 years.

I wanted some advices because I'm terrible on the ground. And because of that my friends with whom I started judo have a better level than me.
    I'm quite good at throwing, but everytime it goes on the ground I get caught in a submission and fail to escape :/

Progress in ne-waza depends very much on good teaching, eg. learning to use legs and hips correctly, basic body movement, and so on. If your dojo does not teach a technical approach to ne-waza, perhaps try cross training with a local BJJ club. Many of the skills will be very transferable.
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:58 am

GregW wrote:Physical strength is more of an advantage on the ground than it is in standing technique.  Ground technique also develops faster than throwing does.  Going to newaza is often a good strategy when confronting a more advanced opponent of equal size and strength.  

I respectfully disagree with this. I have always found it to be the opposite. Very difficult to offbalance someone much stronger and get a throw standing. Also very hard to block someone strong who latches onto you and forces through a technique. On the ground, as you point out, you can use your legs and core strength to equalize the situation.

I think this is more a question of individual aptitude and preference. I've always found ne waza easier than tachi waza and I can pin or sub people much bigger and stronger than myself on the ground, who I can barely shift standing.

Biggest advice I can give to anyone to improve in ne waza is to use your legs more. Think of yourself as an ape with four hands when on the ground. If you get pushed down or back always find a way to bring your legs into play rather than letting your opponent get past them.

Difficult to explain here, but I could show you very quickly in the dojo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 pm