Judo network and forum

judo techniques in MMA matches

judo techniques in MMA matches

Post by noboru on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Video with short sketches of using judo techniques in MMA matches

Re: judo techniques in MMA matches

Post by Anatol on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:41 am

A lot of the throws are mislabeled ...

We had this on another Judo Forum and user "Geschichtenerzähler" was so kind to do the work:

0:07 This is not Harai Goshi. It looks like Tai Otoshi with an Ippon Seoi Nage grip, thus borderlining Uchi Maki Komi
    0:12 Although tori has an underhook I'd classify this by mechanism as Koshi Guruma.
    0:17 Harai Goshi probably is the the right call here.
    0:24 Ko Soto Gake, at least as it is often taught in the West.
    0:29 Ko Soto Gari, maybe Ko Soto Gake ... the video quality is bad.
    0:35 Te Guruma (a Sukui Nage variant) sounds right, it dives into Utsuri Goshi realm though.
    0:45 By Kodokan classification it's just Ude Garami, since it ends in a Kansetsu Waza. The throw, if classified independently is Hikikomi Gaeshi, not Sumi Gaeshi imho, but these throws can be very similar.
    0:56 That's O Uchi Gari
    1:01 That's O Uchi Gari, too.
    1:07 I'd call that a Kuchiki Taoshi or Morote Gari attempt followed up by Ko Uchi Gari.
    1:13 Morote Gari to Ko Soto Gake combo sounds right, albeit one could argue, that leg block (even if done with the leg instead of the hands) and body push constitute a Kushiki Taoshi.
    1:22 Debateable. Tori remains standing, it's thus not a yoko sutemi waza. Kyuzo Mifune demonstrates a variant of Soto Maki Komi looking like this in his Canon of Judo though. It's like a evolutionary link between Koshi Guruma and Soto Maki Komi. I'd classify this as a Koshi Guruma variant.
    1:26 Soto Maki Komi. Ok.
    1:30 That's Seoi Otoshi.
    1:33 This is also Seoi Otoshi.
    1:45 That's O Soto Gari
    1:49 O Soto Otoshi perhaps, there's little reaping action.
    1:56 Uchi Mata attempt
    2:00 Uchi Mata
    2:06 Koshi Guruma
    2:12 Koshi Guruma
    2:19 The video quality is bad, but if tori reaped uke's offside foot here, it's a Ko Soto Gari variant, not Tani Otoshi
    2:25 Ugly but effective Tani Otoshi. Don't do that in Judo, please.
    2:30 Tani Otoshi
    2:40 Utsuri Goshi
    2:44 Ura Nage... technically yes, but dangerously executed. It's a basic wrestling suplex.
    2:57 Kata Guruma. Wasn't sure at first, because we cannot see much of tori's leg placement here.
    3:05 We cannot see the most important part here, but's it's more likely to be Okuri Ashi Harai than Harai Tsuri Komi Ashi.
    3:11 A Tomoe Nage variant.
    3:18 Debateable. Tawara Gaeshi is a possible candidate, but so are Yoko Guruma or even Ura Nage here. The non-standard grip, the weird angle and the high, forceful entry make it difficult to classify this one.
    3:29 Daki Wakare may actually be correct. Unforutnately the bad angle as well as the bad image quality don't allow a better look. If tori uses his leg to flip uke over, this is a Sumi Gaeshi.
    3:37 Correct, Uchi Mata attempt to Kisbisu Gaeshi.
    3:44 Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame looks about right, although we cannot see the attacked arm in it's final position, It may have slippled into a more Ude Garami like grip.

Post by BillC on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Anatol ... you have too much time on your hands. Wink

Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling

Post by Anatol on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:42 pm

You have to give your credit to the user "Geschichtenerzähler", a very prolific brown belt and moderator on judo reddit.

I only copy&paste it.

Judo Suits For Sale

Post by thomaschippendale on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 pm

Wow, interesting technique sure I will watch thus video will try to learn that technique. Though I am taking training on Martial art and already have a DVD on Martial techniques ordered from "WKC Martial Arts Supplies"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 am