E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Kano Shihan

Udon

Kano Shihan

Post by Udon on Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 am

When did Kano stop practicing judo? I read somewhere that he stopped in his mid thirties, yet I have seen old movies of him doing Ju No Kata and he appears much older than mid thirties.
    Jihef

Re: Kano Shihan

Post by Jihef on Wed May 10, 2017 1:20 am

Udon wrote:When did Kano stop practicing judo? I read somewhere that he stopped in his mid thirties, yet I have seen old movies of him doing Ju No Kata and he appears much older than mid thirties.
    Unless you mean randori practice, I'd say he never really quit…

Udon

Post by Udon on Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 am

That's my thought also.
    Thanks for your input.
    NBK

Post by NBK on Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am

The last reference I recall of him participating in randori is when he was in his early 30's in some Kodokan event. After that he's always listed as performing kata.

When he was 60 he stopped wearing keikogi, apparently except for a formal photo.
    Udon

Post by Udon on Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks NBK
    noboru

Post by noboru on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

Here is writings about Kano Jigoro from old names encyklopedia.

NBK

Post by NBK on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I found a newspaper article regarding Kano recovering from breaking several bones in practice in his early 30's. It was never made clear which bones.

That could have taken the wind out of his sails.
    NBK

Post by NBK on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Takezoe Shin'ichiro was Kano's father in law. An interesting character, a noted Sinologist.

There's an indication that Kano and his wife lived with him for a while.
    NBK

Post by NBK on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Takezoe Shin'ichiro was Kano's father in law. An interesting character, a noted Sinologist.

There's an indication that Kano and his wife lived with him for a while.
    noboru wrote:Here is writings about Kano Jigoro from old names encyklopedia.

noboru

Post by noboru on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

I found articles from 1912-11-09 (newspaper Narodní listy). There is info about visit of Kano Jigoro in Prague, Austrian-Hungarian monarchy this time other Czechia today. He traveled around european countries, in summer he was in July in Stockholm - IOC Meeting).

There is info about invitation from czech IOC members, he interested about czech body system education and group SOKOL ( czech organization for body and mind improvement). He saw Prague too, met with leadears of city and czechosloval IOC members. Next 2 days he spent in czech mountains Krkonose with some czech IOC members and did 2 days trip on the mountain.

In the first picture is article (above) about visits of Mr. Naoki Kano (rector of japanese emperor university in Tokio, professor chinese language and literature) in Prague in event naming new rector of czech Charles university.

Could be Mr. Naoki Kano any related with Takezoe Kano?
    noboru

Miss Nona Ransom, a woman who had taught English to Kano Jigoro

Post by noboru Today at 3:55 am

I found info about Jigoro Kano english teacher  - Ms. Nona Ransom. She went to Japan in 1927.... Jigoro Kano improved his english in his older age still... true man.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunry%C5%AB_Suzuki

Later that year Suzuki spent a short time in the hospital with tuberculosis, but soon recovered. In 1927 an important chapter in Suzuki's life was turned. He went to visit a teacher in England he had at Komazawa named Miss Nona Ransom, a woman who had taught English to such people as the last emperor of China, Pu-yi, and more so his wife, the last empress of China, Jigoro Kano (the Founder of Judo), the children of Chinese president Li Yuanhong, and some members of the Japanese royal family. She hired him that day to be a translator and to help with errands. Through this period he realized she was very ignorant of Japanese culture and the religion of Buddhism. She respected it very little and saw it as idol worship. But one day, when there were no chores to be done, the two had a conversation on Buddhism that changed her mind. She even let Suzuki teach her zazen meditation. This experience is significant in that Suzuki realized that Western ignorance of Buddhism could be transformed.

http://www.shunryusuzuki.com/suzuki/photos/nona-ransom-photos.htm

More info about her:
    http://www.cuke.com/Cucumber%20Project/other/nona/hr-on-nr.htm

13/14. Nona went to Japan in 1927 because she had wanted to see the country for some years. Her contacts with the Yoshidas had, as it were, prepared the ground for her through reports of her relationship with the Manchus and others. During the three year, Nona stayed in Japan she taught English at the following three establishments in Tokyo: The Buddhist University, Komazawa, The Men’s' Normal Training College, with demonstration lessons at the attached Boys' Middle School, and The Peeresses School. Also there is a note in one of her papers to the effect that she had been a "Teacher of the English Language and Foreign Etiquette, under the Imperial Household", in Japan. During the summer holiday periods in 1928 and 1929, she visited Korea and what was then known as Formosa. In Korea she stayed at several Monasteries, accompanied by a Japanese student from the Buddhist University, who acted as her interpreter. I think she did something similar in Formosa. I would presume that her time in Japan introduced her to aspects of Buddhist philosophy and experience and it was at that time that she had got to know Suzuki and indeed others, such as Jiro Kano, who was, I understand, the founder of modern Judo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 pm