E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Share
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by genetic judoka on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 am

    every year when I get my tax returns I always buy at least one "cool" thing that I don't actually need. sometimes it's a nice gi, sometimes it's a gun or accessory for a gun, sometimes it's just something random. but I already have so many gi that I boxed up a bunch and put them away. I can't justify buying more of them.

    so... what should I buy this year? the ballpark price range is $100 for serious suggestions, but that doesn't mean you can't suggest something cool that's well above that range.

    right now I'm considering this


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Stacey on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 am

    I'm all for Think Geek. I also like:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ab3f/

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e976/?pfm=Search&t=sugru%20hacking%20putty

    this would just get me in trouble for annoying people:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b6e6/ (but, oh what fun annoying people!)
    if you want to spend more, try this

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2bb/?pfm=geektoys_newest_f2bb_6

    and, this always seemed like it'd be fun (if you get it, post a review):


    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecf2/

    but, since marriage is involved, I recommend that if you get anything for yourself, you also procure a gift certificate for the one you love, so she can partake as well - Think Geek, Sci Surplus, iTunes..... But, I'm either a hopeless romantic, or somebody who likes to promote building up credits for when you really screw up.......
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 am

    Stacey wrote:I'm all for Think Geek. I also like:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ab3f/

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e976/?pfm=Search&t=sugru%20hacking%20putty

    this would just get me in trouble for annoying people:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b6e6/ (but, oh what fun annoying people!)
    if you want to spend more, try this

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f2bb/?pfm=geektoys_newest_f2bb_6

    and, this always seemed like it'd be fun (if you get it, post a review):


    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecf2/

    but, since marriage is involved, I recommend that if you get anything for yourself, you also procure a gift certificate for the one you love, so she can partake as well - Think Geek, Sci Surplus, iTunes..... But, I'm either a hopeless romantic, or somebody who likes to promote building up credits for when you really screw up.......

    I would have thought you would at least have recommended a JudoForum T-shirt with matching biker shorts ...


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by genetic judoka on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am

    the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy). so is the butterfly knife (balisong) pen. I already know how to use a balisong fairly well (the perks of a misspent youth) so that one would be kinda cool. the zombie is cool too, albeit insanely overpriced.


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Hanon on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 am

    How about an Asus nexus 7 tablet so you can see the judo net forum wherever you go?

    Mike


    _________________
    WARNING. I write as a pupil of judo. what I write should be researched by the reader and not accepted as in any way factual or correct.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking.
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Stacey on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 am

    Cichorei Kano wrote:

    I would have thought you would at least have recommended a JudoForum T-shirt with matching biker shorts ...

    that would be for next year, after we've developed a line of eJudo "undergi" wear, socks, hats, and mittens....... What a Face
    avatar
    cuivien

    Posts : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 33
    Location : Norway

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by cuivien on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

    Stacey wrote:
    that would be for next year, after we've developed a line of eJudo "undergi" wear, socks, hats, and mittens....... What a Face

    I want a bright pink top-hat with "E-Judo" written on the brim. I think it'll do wonders for my authority in class Cool


    _________________
    Modern dôjô yaburi
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 am

    cuivien wrote:
    Stacey wrote:
    that would be for next year, after we've developed a line of eJudo "undergi" wear, socks, hats, and mittens....... What a Face

    I want a bright pink top-hat with "E-Judo" written on the brim. I think it'll do wonders for my authority in class Cool

    Hmmm ... dunno, yellow or pink ... looks like a tough choice to me ...



    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    seatea

    Posts : 211
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Location : England.

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by seatea on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am

    genetic judoka wrote:the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy).
    A bit pricey, but think of it as an investment against the apocalypse.

    http://zombietools.net/





    Last edited by seatea on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Second video.)
    avatar
    cuivien

    Posts : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 33
    Location : Norway

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by cuivien on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 am

    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Hmmm ... dunno, yellow or pink ... looks like a tough choice to me ...


    Why choose? Just get one of each Cool

    The one I was thinking of was more like this though...

    <--- no, this is not me


    _________________
    Modern dôjô yaburi
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 am

    seatea wrote:
    genetic judoka wrote:the sword is cool (though if I buy something that looks like a sword, I want to be able to cut stuff with it, I'm not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy).
    A bit pricey, but think of it as an investment against the apocalypse.

    http://zombietools.net/




    If Steve Leadbeater finds out he will likely kill him with his bare hands.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am

    cuivien wrote:

    Why choose? Just get one of each Cool

    The one I was thinking of was more like this though...

    <--- no, this is not me

    It's nice, but the problem is that Stacey loves my haircut and she can't fully admire it if the hat covers too much of it.



    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Stacey on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 am

    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    cuivien wrote:

    Why choose? Just get one of each Cool

    The one I was thinking of was more like this though...

    <--- no, this is not me

    It's nice, but the problem is that Stacey loves my haircut and she can't fully admire it if the hat covers too much of it.


    aw, man! why'd you cut it? I bet I can barely wrap it around my fingers 1 time, let alone pull on it with any force!
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 am

    Stacey wrote:



    aw, man! why'd you cut it? I bet I can barely wrap it around my fingers 1 time, let alone pull on it with any force!

    Promises, promises, promises ...


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by genetic judoka on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 am

    I showed my wife the tomahawk I'm considering. she doesn't like the idea, on the grounds that according to her "I'll never use it."

    clearly she doesn't know me well. I'm the type of guy who would find a reason to use it. look at this thing!

    I'll find a reason to use it.


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 am

    genetic judoka wrote:I showed my wife the tomahawk I'm considering. she doesn't like the idea, on the grounds that according to her "I'll never use it."

    clearly she doesn't know me well. I'm the type of guy who would find a reason to use it. look at this thing!

    I'll find a reason to use it.

    Stacey generally advises to not confess premeditated murder here on the forum. Just worth a thought.


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by genetic judoka on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

    I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

    I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 am

    genetic judoka wrote:I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

    I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.

    There are some really nice deals on E-Bay. You could go this way, which is kind of cool to go to judo training:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-Restored-SAETA-CASA-Jet-/271157361057?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item3f223cf9a1

    Then again, the $56 might not suffice and parking could be a bit of a hassle.

    Or if you want to downscale it a bit, why not:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Engine-Powered-Go-Kart-Boeing-Gas-Turbine-Rat-Rod-/150874839038?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2320d757fe&vxp=mtr


    Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total


    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Stacey on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 am

    genetic judoka wrote:I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

    I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.

    put that 56 dollars in a can or jar that's not a target of your weapon of choice. it's a good down payment on a new countertop, or payment for your emergency surgery (hopefully, it's just to fix a wound, and not to re-attach some body part)
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 30
    Location : Florida

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by genetic judoka on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

    not a bad idea stacey, but that's what the rest of the tax return is for!

    when it comes in I'll take a picture of it next to my other frivolous weapons/tools. of which there are several. I need to figure out what the next purchase should be, as I've already covered most the basic categories of hand held non projectile weaponry.


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.
    avatar
    ThePieman

    Posts : 263
    Join date : 2012-12-28

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by ThePieman on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

    That would be perfect for chopping vegetables!


    _________________
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates
    In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
    Dalai Lama


    Guest
    Guest

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

    genetic judoka wrote:every year when I get my tax returns I always buy at least one "cool" thing that I don't actually need. sometimes it's a nice gi, sometimes it's a gun or accessory for a gun, sometimes it's just something random. but I already have so many gi that I boxed up a bunch and put them away. I can't justify buying more of them.

    so... what should I buy this year? the ballpark price range is $100 for serious suggestions, but that doesn't mean you can't suggest something cool that's well above that range.

    right now I'm considering this
    The first thing I thought of when I saw that link was Assassin's Creed 3.
    I've never seen that website before. Thanks for sharing. I'm the same way when it comes to annual spending but it's usually during Christmas and not tax return time. I haven't purchased anything for myself in quite a while because I can't seem to find something I want to buy. The things I want are far more expensive than a few hundred dollars.
    avatar
    seatea

    Posts : 211
    Join date : 2013-01-19
    Location : England.

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by seatea on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am

    Stacey wrote:
    genetic judoka wrote:I didn't say it would be used against a person. but I feel bad for the first hard to open can or jar my wife faces.

    I just ordered it on ebay for 44 incl shipping. good purchase IMHO. that doesn't mean the thread needs to die though, I am open to suggestions for other worthwhile gadgets/weapons to spend the remaining 56 allotted dollars on.

    put that 56 dollars in a can or jar that's not a target of your weapon of choice. it's a good down payment on a new countertop, or payment for your emergency surgery (hopefully, it's just to fix a wound, and not to re-attach some body part)

    Pssh, being sensible, when has that ever helped anyone?
    avatar
    Davaro

    Posts : 224
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : South Africa

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Davaro on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

    After you have cut your legs off with that thing... use the balance to get a gun. You know, for next years valentines day. You may have an unknown intruder.

    Lets see who is the first to see what I did there...


    _________________
    Dew wrote:
    We could have a poll - but if the majority vote for "Judo roly poly" its going to ignite fascist dictatorlike tendencies lurking within me.


    http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/
    avatar
    Stacey

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : your worst nightmares

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Stacey on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 am

    Davaro wrote:After you have cut your legs off with that thing... use the balance to get a gun. You know, for next years valentines day. You may have an unknown intruder.

    Lets see who is the first to see what I did there...

    somehow, I doubt I'd want a gun that costs $100 or less. Might could lose more than my legs that way, though the "cheap gun" defense is always fun in court "never thought it'd make it through the bathroom door - my goal was to scare the pants off the intruder, not actually shoot him/her"

    Yes, Davaro, you're a real pistol, for sure.

    To the OP, I still highly recommend the Sugru - that stuff is fun! It's like Silly Putty that can actually do stuff since it hardens overnight (and without the use of a clothes dryer - yeah, I sent a few eggs of Silly Putty through the laundry in my day). I'm sure there are some mods you'd love to make if you had a bit of Sugru.

    Otherwise, (And well over $100), there's the Gerber Apocalypse Survival Kit

    http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

    this machete looks interesting. Impractical, but interesting:



    And it's one of 6 blades in the kit.

    Sponsored content

    Re: cool gadgets/toys to waste money on

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm