E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Talk about Judo!

afja_lm139

Talk about Judo!

Post by afja_lm139 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 am

Try this:

Embarassed

Last edited by genetic judoka on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to properly embed video)

Hanon

Re: Talk about Judo!

Post by Hanon on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 am

Have you read the comments? I had tears rolling down my face with laughter.

Mike

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking.

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 am

I used to do something similar years ago when I was working as a pipe fitter for an alectrical company. None of the electricians would go up any sort of tower so they employed me to change bulbs on floodlights in sports grounds and the like.I worked at height for many years before setting up my own business and thats why they employed me. Best job I ever had working for an empoyer. Highest I have climbed is approx 430 ft on a fixed, vertical ladder. Absolutely shattered when I got to the top. No where near as high as the one in the video though.
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:11 am

no ukemi is gonna save you from that. best to try to land on your head, at least make it painless.

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 am

Its, not the fall that kills you but the sudden stop at the end.......but you could always jump the last 6 feet or so Very Happy

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 am

tafftaz wrote:Absolutely shattered when I got to the top.

What do you mean? I'm embarrassed to ask but I'm not familiar with this figure of speech. Considering you're from the U.K. perhaps this has a different meaning than what I'm accustomed to.

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:19 am

Shattered - exhausted

Sorry, its a Welsh thing.
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am

Never been afraid of heights until this video! Surprised
    NBK

Post by NBK on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am

no way I'd do that. I've jumped out of airplanes at lower altitudes. Watch the steady three points of contact - always some combo of holds totaling at least three feet plus hands.

Imagine you get to the top:

Billc, OK, hand me the bulb.

What, didn't you bring it? Embarassed

afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 am

Before retiring I worked on a radio telescope where the receiver was 85 feet high and the edge of he dish was 70+ feet up. We used to stand on the edge of the dish like it was nothing. Never bother me, but getting past the last climb in that video did me in! Those guys have grit.
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 am

tafftaz wrote:I used to do something similar years ago when I was working as a pipe fitter for an alectrical company. None of the electricians would go up any sort of tower so they employed me to change bulbs on floodlights in sports grounds and the like.I worked at height for many years before setting up my own business and thats why they employed me. Best job I ever had working for an empoyer. Highest I have climbed is approx 430 ft on a fixed, vertical ladder. Absolutely shattered when I got to the top. No where near as high as the one in the video though.

Dayum. That's something Tafftaz.

How high do you think you would/could actually climb?

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 am

Q mystic wrote:
    tafftaz wrote:I used to do something similar years ago when I was working as a pipe fitter for an alectrical company. None of the electricians would go up any sort of tower so they employed me to change bulbs on floodlights in sports grounds and the like.I worked at height for many years before setting up my own business and thats why they employed me. Best job I ever had working for an empoyer. Highest I have climbed is approx 430 ft on a fixed, vertical ladder. Absolutely shattered when I got to the top. No where near as high as the one in the video though.

I was a lot younger then Q. Most structures that I personally worked on were approx. 300-400ft high. Most of the time cranes were used for us to work with. Once we were out on the steel/pipe work then work would be on that specific area. Only on certain jobs where access for machinery was impossible did I have to resort to physically climbing the structures.
    I have recently started going to a climbing centre with indoor climbing and bouldering walls. Great fun but damn hard work. Its a superb workout.
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 am

tafftaz wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:

I was a lot younger then Q. Most structures that I personally worked on were approx. 300-400ft high. Most of the time cranes were used for us to work with. Once we were out on the steel/pipe work then work would be on that specific area. Only on certain jobs where access for machinery was impossible did I have to resort to physically climbing the structures.
    I have recently started going to a climbing centre with indoor climbing and bouldering walls. Great fun but damn hard work. Its a superb workout.

I remember a movie or a saying where when you are really high that it isn't the fall that scares someone but that that they might jump. I thought that was strange when I 1st heard that but I kinda understand. It isn't a suicidal tendency but it seems like more a psycho-mechanical(if that's a term)deal. I think looking at that vid, that I'd be such a mess up there that it would seem less stressful to just let go.lol

At 2 minutes in the video, when he is pretty close to the top, he lets loose the safety harness and free climbs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm