E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Did this technique stop when I stopped fighting?

Geoff san

Did this technique stop when I stopped fighting?

Post by Geoff san on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:12 am

I used this throw for year and won many contest at international level See YouTube Judo Geoff Hobbs is it still being used today?

Cichorei Kano

Re: Did this technique stop when I stopped fighting?

Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 am

Geoff san wrote:I used this throw for year and won many contest at international level See YouTube Judo Geoff Hobbs is it still being used today?

Exactly which technique are you referring to, Geoff san ? In the YouTube videos you show several techniques, among which te-guruma and utsuri-goshi. Present day IJF rules, refereeing attitudes and less open technical judo unfortunately have decreased the occurrence of such techniques in major competitions.

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

Geoff san

Post by Geoff san on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am

Slightly embarrassed to say I do not know the name, but it was the first and last slow motion clip, i know the rules have changed and must say that I am disappointed that ground work seems to be discouraged no days, but surely the throws are still allowed??
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Geoff san wrote:Slightly embarrassed to say I do not know the name, but it was the first and last slow motion clip, i know the rules have changed and must say that I am disappointed that ground work seems to be discouraged no days, but surely the throws are still allowed??

"Te-guruma", in the old days in the West mostly referred to as "second form of Sukui-nage", yes, has been mostly killed by current IJF rules. This technique particularly came up in the second half to late 1970s, shortly before Morote-gari became popular too.

"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am

Is Uke Vass Morrison?

Geoff san

Post by Geoff san on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 pm

I have been trying to contact Vass do you have his details?
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:29 am

Geoff san wrote:I used this throw for year and won many contest at international level See YouTube Judo Geoff Hobbs is it still being used today?

Geoff, are you the Geoff in this clip?

Great clip!

Thanks for posting it
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 am

What a great vid, some really nice technique on show here

aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Geoff san wrote:Slightly embarrassed to say I do not know the name, but it was the first and last slow motion clip, i know the rules have changed and must say that I am disappointed that ground work seems to be discouraged no days, but surely the throws are still allowed??
    "Te-guruma", in the old days in the West mostly referred to as "second form of Sukui-nage", yes, has been mostly killed by current IJF rules. This technique particularly came up in the second half to late 1970s, shortly before Morote-gari became popular too.
    What "current IJF rules" would "kill" the use of a Defensive/Counter "Te Guruma"? When is "Morote Gari" ever even attempted in any Judo tournament?

aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Geoff san wrote:I have been trying to contact Vass do you have his details?
    Have you tried to contact him through The Budokwai in London?
    Davaro

Post by Davaro on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:51 pm

aspenrebel wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    What "current IJF rules" would "kill" the use of a Defensive/Counter "Te Guruma"?  When is "Morote Gari" ever even attempted in any Judo tournament?
    "Mostly been killed" as a lot of people that do te guruma would sometimes grab lower than the belt, or during the final, "turning" stage of the throw may grab the pants to assist in completing the throw. The example shown in the clip would obviously not be a problem under current rules.

Morote gari was extremely popular, especially by eastern european judoka and those with strong wrestling backgrounds (like Dr Rhadi Furguson of the USA) until the IJF started outlawing "leg-grab" techniques.

I assume from your post you may be a younger judoka and thus did not follow much competition in the 80's and 90's?

Forgive me if I am wrong about you but your post lends to that assumption.

http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 am

aspenrebel wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    What "current IJF rules" would "kill" the use of a Defensive/Counter "Te Guruma"?  When is "Morote Gari" ever even attempted in any Judo tournament?
    Who is Robert Van De Walle ? What is a jûdôgi ? What is a tatami ?

amadus

Post by amadus on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    aspenrebel wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Who is Robert Van De Walle ?  What is a jûdôgi ?  What is a tatami ?
    Should've been "Who is Robert 'Van' De Walle ? What is a jûdô'gi' ? What 'is' a tatami ?"

Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am