E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Judo illustrations

Michael-H

Re: Judo illustrations

Post by Michael-H on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    Michael-H wrote:There, the Gokyo-no-waza is finished.

All the individual drawings can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hultstrom/sets/72157632298341948/

And, since repetition is the mother of all knowledge, I just want to point out that they are free to use under the Creative Commons - Attribution, share-alike - license.
    Splendid.

May I ask you something ?  I am fascinated by people who have the ability to do and create things I can't. I would appreciate if you could explain a little bit how you actually achieve this. What kind of techniques do you use. I am, of course, most interested in understanding how someone can transfer what goes on in their mind into practice, but that is likely a very complicated process, partly because it may be evident for you, while I am unable to accomplish this.
    I'm not at all sure I can explain it in a helpful way, but I will certainly give it a go. The first thing to appreciate is that drawing is a manual skill. Like judo, or surgery we only become proficient through practice. The classic way to teach drawing includes three parts, recreating the masters, croquis (drawing naked models) and stilleben (drawing dead stuff). Practically, you always start with a sketch from some sort of template or model, then you refine this in steps until you have a final drawing. When working in pencil, you can erase succesive refinements, or draw on see-through paper. Then you transfer the final design to your art paper and paint it, or you draw it a until you have a feeling for the lines and transfer it on free hand.

Today there are very good digitising equipment for drawing on the computer. For these sketches I have used my iPad, which is the cheapest most readily available high quality digitiser on the market, and it has the best screen money can buy. The software I use is Art Rage a drawing software that tries to recreate the look of physical media, paper structure, colour bleed etc. That matters little, what is important is the availability of layers. The magic of layers is that you can do successive improvements without removing the old, and when you are done you can just hide the sketches and only show the final layer. In addition, you can easily import the template and use it as a tracing image.

Here is half of a seoi-nage that never got good enough for an uke. It is drawn from a template on the side, with successive, more and more refined sketches on Art Rage. This image shows successive layers overlayed to illustrate the step by step process. The anatomic middle step is often helpful to make the clothes go properly.

By using a good template, such as a photograph, as a tracing image it is often possible to go directly to a good sketch, and then colour it in in a new layer. However, even when drawing from a template some details have to be improved, like the addition of the hand in tate-shiho-gatame below. Either you have drawn a lot of hands, and can do it from memory, or you find a template to draw. With hands you always find a template because hands are difficult. Luckily templates are often readily available.

This image shows the siplified workflow when starting with a good tracing template. Copy the important lines, and colour in. The part that needs training is choosing which lines to draw. A trick that is useful on the computer that doesn't work in Real Life(TM) is to colour a larger than necessary area and erase down to the lines.

In short, draw a lot, use templates, work through several sketches of the same picture, ideally on several layers on an iPad.
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 am

Fascinating ! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this !

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."
    Allen

Post by Allen on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:37 am

These are great!! And free to use you say? I will surely on our club website!
    Allen

Post by Allen on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 am

You. Did this.. On an .. IPAD?!

I'm even more impressed.
    Michael-H

Post by Michael-H on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 am

Allen wrote:These are great!!  And free to use you say?  I will surely on our club website!
    Allen wrote:You. Did this..  On an .. IPAD?!

I'm even more impressed.
    Thank you. Indeed, free as in beer and free as in speech. If you use them could you post a link so I can see?

The iPad is actually a rather good digitiser as long as you have an accurate pen. With your finger or an iPad-pen with too big a tip it's very difficult.
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 am

Michael-H, Thank you. These are outstanding. Do you know if there is an equivalent to art rage for an android tablet?

Post by Michael-H on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 am

afulldeck wrote:Michael-H, Thank you. These are outstanding. Do you know if there is an equivalent to art rage for an android tablet?
    Yes, you should go for Autodesk's SketchBook Pro. It's really good. I use it on the iPad, but it is available for Android. It doesn't try to emulate physical media in the same way, but it is a very versatile sketching program.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/sketchbook-pro/overview
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:04 am

Michael Awesome pictures. It's not easy to capture motion for any artist. These are great. It's not like there is a lot of this out there so thank you!
    Michael-H

San-kaku-jime

Post by Michael-H on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I have added some more techniques to the illustration library.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hultstrom/sets/72157632298341948/

As before, feel free to use the images for anything you like as long as you give attribution and use the same CC license.

Here is the new san-kaku-jime illustration:

And here is the video of how I made it.

The video was made using Procreate's export-video feature and then adding the stills and audio in Camtasia. Let me apologise for the audio in advance. It is a bit chopped up. To do it well I guess I should have had a script and read it all in one go.
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 am

Awesome!
    luizpavani

Post by luizpavani on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks for sharing your very nice work with us!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:48 am