E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Share

    poundsand

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2013-04-28

    good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by poundsand on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 pm

    Hello

    Looking for a good school in los Angeles, preferably the north / valley areas. I've checked out sun valley (like the vibe, but seems aimed more at kids when it comes to beginners) and San Fernando judo (talk of practicing falls for 2-3 months before getting on the mat - probably(?) useful, but sounds like it'd get boring quick (and I did see one guy there hitting the mat (from a lying position, not even falls) for the better part of 2 hours)...also checked out a couple places run out of karate schools and such, but those didn't do anything for me...

    Anyone try the sawtelle beginner class (or go to sawtelle in general)? What's the vibe for adult beginners?

    Thanks!

    poundsand

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2013-04-28

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by poundsand on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 am

    Quick followup in case another LA area beginner happens to swing by- been at Sawtelle for about a month, and having a lot of fun. The beginner class starts the first week of every month, and goes for 2 weeks, then you're tossed into the deep end with the rest of the class. Typically lots of brown and black belts around to help out in the main class though. Would highly recommend it.
    avatar
    Q mystic

    Posts : 319
    Join date : 2013-02-10

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Q mystic on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 am

    Good that you found a school you like, pound.

    Usually, the best way to search clubs is thru the organizations websites...usja, usjf, usa judo etc...


    _________________
    Judo should adopt Sambo shorts to keep low attacks clean.

    poundsand

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2013-04-28

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by poundsand on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am

    Q mystic wrote:Good that you found a school you like, pound.

    Usually, the best way to search clubs is thru the organizations websites...usja, usjf, usa judo etc...

    thanks q mystic.

    as far as finding a club, you might think those would be good places to start, but you'd be surprised. as far as i can tell, usjf doesn't list clubs on their website. i can find life members, become a life member, start my own judo club, etc, but find a club? good luck. Razz usja apparently has a club list- that redirects to a different url that seems to be not white listed by my company (120k+ employee company, that uses a commercial white list). Sad
    avatar
    JudoSensei

    Posts : 170
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : California

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by JudoSensei on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm

    poundsand wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:Good that you found a school you like, pound.

    Usually, the best way to search clubs is thru the organizations websites...usja, usjf, usa judo etc...

    thanks q mystic.

    as far as finding a club, you might think those would be good places to start, but you'd be surprised. as far as i can tell, usjf doesn't list clubs on their website. i can find life members, become a life member, start my own judo club, etc, but find a club? good luck. Razz usja apparently has a club list- that redirects to a different url that seems to be not white listed by my company (120k+ employee company, that uses a commercial white list). Sad

    It doesn't matter now because you found a great club, but the USJF clubs are listed on local black belt association (yudanshakai) web sites. Here is the nanka yudanshakai site with local clubs: http://www.nankajudo.com/MemberClubs2012-2013.html

    The USJA club list is at http://www.usjamanagement.com/public/charteredClubs/ but I have no idea why your company would not permit viewing it.

    avatar
    judoratt

    Posts : 309
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 60
    Location : Seattle

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by judoratt on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

    JudoSensei wrote:
    poundsand wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:Good that you found a school you like, pound.

    Usually, the best way to search clubs is thru the organizations websites...usja, usjf, usa judo etc...

    thanks q mystic.

    as far as finding a club, you might think those would be good places to start, but you'd be surprised. as far as i can tell, usjf doesn't list clubs on their website. i can find life members, become a life member, start my own judo club, etc, but find a club? good luck. Razz usja apparently has a club list- that redirects to a different url that seems to be not white listed by my company (120k+ employee company, that uses a commercial white list). Sad

    It doesn't matter now because you found a great club, but the USJF clubs are listed on local black belt association (yudanshakai) web sites. Here is the nanka yudanshakai site with local clubs: http://www.nankajudo.com/MemberClubs2012-2013.html

    The USJA club list is at http://www.usjamanagement.com/public/charteredClubs/ but I have no idea why your company would not permit viewing it.


    I can totaly understand why his coumpany doesn't let him look at the USJA web seight. Very Happy
    How could I pass that up. lol! lol!
    avatar
    Javalina

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2013-02-18
    Age : 40
    Location : Brussels, Belgium

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Javalina on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:17 am

    How about Tenri Judo http://la-tenrijudo.com/?

    poundsand

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2013-04-28

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by poundsand on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

    Javalina wrote:How about Tenri Judo http://la-tenrijudo.com/?

    tenri, even in the little i know about judo, has a reputation of being a little hard core for the straight up beginner. ;D
    avatar
    Tai-Jutsu

    Posts : 81
    Join date : 2013-09-19
    Location : Woodbridge,Va. USA

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Tai-Jutsu on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

    Ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bluming


    Or ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Geesink


    avatar
    Heisenberg

    Posts : 99
    Join date : 2013-03-03
    Location : Central FL

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Heisenberg on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:48 am

    Tai-Jutsu wrote:Ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bluming


    Or ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Geesink


    I don't think Geesink Sensei will be answering many questions...


    _________________
    Ocala Judo UF Judo
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by BillC on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:27 pm

    Heisenberg wrote:
    I don't think Geesink Sensei will be answering many questions...
    With the internet, all things are possible. No end of opinions expressed on the JF about what dead people would say or do, or what they would not say or not do ...


    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling
    avatar
    NBK

    Posts : 1109
    Join date : 2013-01-10
    Location : Tokyo, Japan

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by NBK on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 pm

    poundsand wrote:Hello
    ... I've checked out sun valley (like the vibe...

    Thanks!
    Judo's got vibes?!? Shocked Who'd'a thunk it??
    avatar
    BillC

    Posts : 806
    Join date : 2012-12-28
    Location : Vista, California

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by BillC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 am

    NBK wrote:Judo's got vibes?!?  Shocked Who'd'a thunk it??  
    Yeah, we keep them in the closet behind the old butsudan. After workout things get swingin' Daddy-O.



    _________________
    Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
    Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
    But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
    When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

    - Kipling
    avatar
    Tai-Jutsu

    Posts : 81
    Join date : 2013-09-19
    Location : Woodbridge,Va. USA

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Tai-Jutsu on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 am

    Tai-Jutsu wrote:Ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bluming


    Or ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Geesink


    Actually, somehow this got posted on this thread? It was meant for one about big guys.

    I don't know if I pushed the wrong button or what?
    avatar
    Cichorei Kano

    Posts : 1948
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 857
    Location : the Holy See

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Cichorei Kano on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 am

    Tai-Jutsu wrote:
    Tai-Jutsu wrote:Ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bluming


    Or ask this guy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Geesink


    Actually, somehow this got posted on this thread? It was meant for one about big guys.

    I don't know if I pushed the wrong button or what?
    Hey, this happens even to the best:



    _________________


    "The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

    Krijgsman

    Posts : 2
    Join date : 2013-11-20

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Krijgsman on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 am

    It sounds like you found a club already but my club (Pasadena Kodokan Judo) is pretty great and we have a bunch of other clubs around LA that we work with/trade students with as well.

    *edit* I shouldn't say "my" club since I am just a student there. But its the club I attend.

    Sponsored content

    Re: good school for adult beginners in los angeles?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm