E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Westvleteren 12

OldeEnglishD

Westvleteren 12

Post by OldeEnglishD on Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am

So thanks to a very cool co-worker, I will be checking 1 beer off of my bucket list this weekend. I have been given a Westvleteren 12 which is a beer I have been wanting to try for years. They are made by Trappist monks in a Belgian abbey, and are very limited in number (60,000 cases made a year). As I know some of you guys are into beer as well, I thought I would ask if anyone had ever had a Westy 12, and what your thoughts were on it. I will be opening on Friday with the wife.

Give me a lever and a place to stand and I shall move the earth - Archimedes

tafftaz

Re: Westvleteren 12

Post by tafftaz on Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 am

Never heard of it.
    Plus I would have to be drunk just to pronounce it correctly Very Happy
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 on Sat May 18, 2013 12:06 am

Belgian beers are my favourites without question. Westvleteren 12 is something of a legend, supposed to be amazing. Golden Carolus Cuvee Van der Kaiser Bleu is amazing and usually a winter thing of you can find it.

Btw, for what it's worth, Leffe (as in Brown/Brune or Blonde) is supposed to be pronounced Leff not Leff-fay.

Belgians, dude.

Robert Thomas

westvleteren etc

Post by Robert Thomas on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:02 am

I remember drinking this beer in the Hage in the Netherlands many years ago.It was like a fine tasting wine.Appropriately enough the pub was called 'The OLD TIMER'
    I also like Grimbergen triple.Another fine Beer.I like German and Belgian beer very much.Aventinus is a good strong German wheat beer also.
    Cheers//
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Just to update this post, the Westy was amazing. One of the more complex beers I have ever had. Malty, with hints of apple and raisin. Very earthy tones. At the tail end you start to get a whisky feel that you fear will become overpowering, but then it just mellows out to a smooth finish. I have since tried another Abbey Quadruple, St. Bernardus APT 12 and it was very similar to Westy, but just a tad bit sweeter. Both are great, but the Westy was definately deserving of it's legend.

Give me a lever and a place to stand and I shall move the earth - Archimedes
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 am

rjohnston411 wrote:Belgian beers are my favourites without question. Westvleteren 12 is something of a legend, supposed to be amazing. Golden Carolus Cuvee Van der Kaiser Bleu is amazing and usually a winter thing of you can find it.  

Btw, for what it's worth, Leffe (as in Brown/Brune or Blonde) is supposed to be pronounced Leff not Leff-fay.

It depends on whether the name is pronounced the French (Walloon) or Dutch (in Flanders) way. In the Walloon part of the country indeed the final 'e' is not pronounced and it sounds like 'Leff'. However, in Flanders where the name is pronounce the Dutch way the final 'e' is pronounced, but it obviously does not sound like if the word would be pronounced by a native speaker of English. Instead of 'Leff-fay' as you indicate, the final 'e' is pronounced like the 'u' in 'nut' or 'butter' while it is the first syllable of the word that is stressed, so almost like 'Léffu'.

"The world is a republic of mediocrities, and always was." (Thomas Carlyle)
    "Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way." (Blaise Pascal)
    "Quand on essaie, c'est difficile. Quand on n'essaie pas, c'est impossible" (Guess Who ?)
    "I am never wrong. Once I thought I was, and that was a mistake."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content