E-Judo

Judo network and forum

my peppers

genetic judoka

my peppers

Post by genetic judoka on Tue May 21, 2013 7:16 am

so over the past few weeks I've picked up a new hobby: gardening. I'm growing some hot peppers. I got a few free moments today so I figured I'd share some pics.
    ghost peppers:

Habanero peppers (the only one I didn't start from a seed)

Trinidadian scorpion peppers

tabasco pepper

thai chile peppers

for size reference, all of the above are in the same size pots

and for reference for how fast they're growing, here's what they all looked like exactly 2 weeks ago before some were repotted:

(the habanero isn't in there because I bought him as a starter plant from lowes a week later)

Re: my peppers

Post by Stacey on Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 am

and you intend to do what with these biological weapons.......
    Stacey

Post by Stacey on Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 am

btw, they seem to be growing - better than I can do, unless you want some rhubarb planted by the former owner of my house.....
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater on Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 am

Ghost Chilli AND Trinidad Scorpion Chilli.........are you stark raving crazy ?? What a Face
    BillC

Post by BillC on Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:Ghost Chilli AND Trinidad Scorpion Chilli.........are you stark raving crazy ?? What a Face

Indeed, you'd better remember to grow an equal number of ice cream plants too.

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo on Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 am

Hmmm, I'm partial to heat... but maybe not that much heat Very Happy
    Stacey

Post by Stacey on Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 pm

JudoMojo wrote:Hmmm, I'm partial to heat... but maybe not that much heat Very Happy

double dog dare you Twisted Evil
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

to be fair I'll probably never be taking a bite of the ghosts or the scorpions. that's just ridiculous. I probably won't be letting anyone else just take a bite of one without signing a waiver. I'll probably be turning them into fairly well diluted hot sauce, and probably drying some and grinding them up into really serious chili powder. some I'll give to my mother in law, who grew up in Trinidad and can eat them like they're nothing.

the rest (habanero and tabasco) are quite edible, at least to me. frankly the habanero is my favorite pepper. it has the best flavor.

most of them were planted april 2nd, and as of today the habanero, one of the thai's, and the tabasco all have flower buds on them. the ghosts and the scorpions from what I understand don't bloom until much later.

the one I really find noteworthy is the tabasco. that one my buddy started from seed and left in 1" of soil in a windowsill for 2 months. it was pretty much dying so I took it over. when I got it it had 2 leaves on it (a week before the bottom picture), it's the one on the bottom left. now look at it. it's much shorter than it should be because its growth was stunted by the 2 months of fail, and now 4 weeks after I got it, it's got flower buds on it.

I forgot to mention I started some "ring of fire" cayenne seeds last week, no signs of life from them yet though.

Post by JudoMojo on Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Stacey wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:Hmmm, I'm partial to heat... but maybe not that much heat Very Happy

double dog dare you Twisted Evil

To eat in food would be possibly bearable... The habanero would anyway, I wouldn't touch the ghost ect on their own. I've had sauce that was 25% ghost and 30% hab, you had to be careful with that stuff...
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Tue May 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I will be wearing gloves when I harvest them, or cook with them. from what I gather the oils will literally burn your skin.

Post by Steve Leadbeater on Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am

After a Club lunch some time back, we decided to talk a walk through the open markets that are set up in the "ROCKS" area of Sydney.
    WE came across a stall selling all types of Chillies and Chilli Sauces......ranging from "hello, flavour" through "Wow thats hot" all the way to "I didn't know we allowed Nuclear Weapons in this Country".
    On the "Dip and try" table there were a selection of Sauces for tasting........Naturally everybody decided that the Head Coach and I should be the idio...er...I mean....people to sample the Ghost Chilli dips.
    the results were as follows :

Gary..... "Aye karnt pheeel ny wipz, ny mouwtz ish un fyer"

Me...... "Aye zink ny tung hazh yuzt forlin off, ny faze ish neltig"

The others...... HAHAHA, TITTER, CHORTLE, TEARS OF MIRTH ON THEIR CHEEKS.

Feeling returned some 3 hours later, Gary reported that the intense burning returned next morning !! Shocked
    Stacey

Post by Stacey on Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 am

Twisted Evil
    BillC

Post by BillC on Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 am

Stacey wrote:

Twisted Evil

Doh! Can't cut it there ... You missed perhaps the greatest line in all Simpsondom ...

When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

- Kipling
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 am

steve, I know that feeling. I got it once when trying a ridiculous hot sauce (experiences chronicled on the old forum). with that said, I don't intend to make my hot sauce all that potent.

ahh, I remember that episode. I hope someone has that reaction to my peppers.

all but the ghosts and the scorpions now have flower buds on them. it's gonna be a hot summer... (yes, I made that last line as corny as possible)

Post by Stacey on Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 am

genetic judoka wrote:

all but the ghosts and the scorpions now have flower buds on them. it's gonna be a hot summer... (yes, I made that last line as corny as possible)

if you're going to pepper your retorts with puns, make them sting
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 am

my peppers as of a few days ago:

in the picture from right to left
    back row: 3 thai's 1 serrano 1 tabasco 1 habanero
    front row: 2 ghosts, 2 scorpions, 1 tabasco, 2 cayenne seedlings

I've added a serrano that I bought at Lowe's. my father roasted up some serrano's on the grill the other day and I thought they were delicious, so I spent $3.50 to add them to my collection.

all but the scorpions (and the seedlings, obviously) now have flower buds on them, many of which have actual flowers. I'm told I can expect to start getting edible peppers in july. and the ones I probably shouldn't eat will be ready in august.

Post by BillC on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:07 am

genetic judoka wrote:my peppers as of a few days ago:
    in the picture from right to left
    back row: 3 thai's 1 serrano 1 tabasco 1 habanero
    front row: 2 ghosts, 2 scorpions, 1 tabasco, 2 cayenne seedlings

I've added a serrano that I bought at Lowe's. my father roasted up some serrano's on the grill the other day and I thought they were delicious, so I spent $3.50 to add them to my collection.

all but the scorpions (and the seedlings, obviously) now have flower buds on them, many of which have actual flowers. I'm told I can expect to start getting edible peppers in july. and the ones I probably shouldn't eat will be ready in august.

Notes:

- My chilis sometimes last from year to year, in fact this year that's a good thing because "she who must be obeyed" failed to water my seedlings while I was away and killed them all ... along with some legacy tomato plants that were hard to come by and hard to sprout ... but anyway putting yours in slightly larger pots and keeping them through the mild Florida winter will mean earlier production next year. Here in San Diego I have had jalapenos already ... small, "special needs" jalapenos for sure, but tasty none the less.

- This year I added tomatillos because I have always enjoyed a proper green salsa. There are some tricks ... these require partners because they can't self pollinate ... but so far so good.

- You should come out to our dojo during hanamatsuri next year, or even obon this year and talk to these old Japanese gardeners we have hanging around. Bring your judogi of course ...

Cheers.

Bill

- Kipling
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 am

I intend to keep them over winter. I'm told that with florida heat, the peppers might keep producing all thru the winter and into spring. that would be kinda cool.

next time I find myself in CA you'll be hearing from me.

some updated pictures:
    group photo:

ghosts (now with flower buds):

scorpions (also with buds):

tabasco:

habanero:

serrano (store bought, in the process of recovery):

thai bird peppers:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm