E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    More information in the profile?

    Share
    avatar
    judoratt

    Posts : 309
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 60
    Location : Seattle

    More information in the profile?

    Post by judoratt on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 am

    Is it possible to have a profile section that can have more information about the members? It is dificult taking and or giving advice when you know little or nothing about the posters.
    avatar
    heikojr

    Posts : 91
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Age : 48
    Location : NY

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by heikojr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am

    I like this idea! I would like to be able to know something about the person/ people i'm conversing with! And if they chose not to share, that's fine, too.

    heikojr
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 31
    Location : Florida

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by genetic judoka on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:38 am

    agreed. maybe "judo rank" and "___ years experience" would be good lines to add. Hanon has stated before that he doesn't like this and that posts should be taken on the merits of their contents. but not all posts are in statement form, some are questions. if someone says "I'm struggling with the finer points of ogoshi" it could mean 2 very different things 2 weeks in vs 20 years in.

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Hanon on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 pm

    It is amazing to see how already exactly the same type of Q&A are being posted here as on the defunct JF?

    I keep being told not to take this media seriously, its just cyber posting and cant be seen as anything else.
    I agree with this. Its not possible to make a cyber dojo, its a shame but the nature of the internet and these forums is there will always be keyboard warriors, trolls and people who have various degree of judo knowledge.

    Even if grade could be verified that in itself is still no guarantee that a given poster has intellectual ability to write well on judo? There are sho dan on the JF who I have seen grow from kyu ranks who can post very knowledgeable posts. The variations are surprisingly large even among the kohaku ranks.

    Basically there where only four members of the JF who could write in the kata section who I would read and 'listen' to. Not many senior members even wrote in that section, that in itself may give you some food for thought?

    With respect I disagree with GJ when he writes about Ogoshi. Regardless of rank if a poster needs help with ogoshi the answer would be the same.

    THE only way to reply to a post here is to take the post on it merits. If you start this grade stuff it simply means nothing unless it can be verified. You all know full well any poster can come here, join, claim 6th dan, or whatever, and the only way of verifying that rank is in the style and CONTENT of his or her posts.
    Exactly the same situation in a real dojo. Any one may purchase a black obi. Soon shows up when on the tatami.

    I am not suggesting its not nice to know a persons rank bit to what aim under these circumstances.

    I have my own rank and my own years of experience, this never prevented one or two posters with zero knowledge posting on the old JF trying to correct and teach me the Ju no kata etc? I posted some clips on youtube in response to being requested to do so. Didn't prevent one poster from saying my harai tsuri komi ashi was okuri ashi barai and I had made a mistake with the name?

    Maybe this sort of information gives some poster a false sense of security? In reality such information is useless. The other side of this is there where some genuine very high ranks on the JF who on times made grave errors with the information they posted! I made mistakes myself and this is natural and understandable, non of us know judo. We can but write from the knowledge point we have today.

    Do you not recall the numerous times I have replied to a poster saying that their post may well one day in the future bite them in the butt. A few of mine did, lol

    Mike

    Ah, another interesting point. On the JF arguably the most knowledgeable member had his rank and qualifications questioned when he didn't even claim any rank or qualifications and his postal contributions are second to non!
    avatar
    heikojr

    Posts : 91
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Age : 48
    Location : NY

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by heikojr on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am

    This is very simmilar to the +/- and reputation thread. Much of this discussion is the same. "It could be abused", "the person could lie about rank", "what difference will it make in ones posts", are all true. So don't look at the person's profile if you don't want to. Don't fill it out if you don't want to. If you like to be anonymous, that's fine, too. To me, i like to know a person's name, what they look like, where they're from. And to keep track of many people, it's convenient to be able to look at a profile.

    Also, I like to think that i'm speaking to real people. Who have real lives, real names and real faces.

    heikojr

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Hanon on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am

    heikojr wrote:

    Also, I like to think that i'm speaking to real people. Who have real lives, real names and real faces.

    heikojr

    Then one needs to stay in a real dojo and not the cyber world of judo?

    You keep well.

    Best wishes,

    Mike
    avatar
    heikojr

    Posts : 91
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Age : 48
    Location : NY

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by heikojr on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 am

    Hanon wrote:
    heikojr wrote:

    Also, I like to think that i'm speaking to real people. Who have real lives, real names and real faces.

    heikojr

    Then one needs to stay in a real dojo and not the cyber world of judo?

    You keep well.

    Best wishes,

    Mike

    Mike Sensei,

    I hope all is well!

    I believe that there was a time that lectures were part of judo in the dojo. I have had and met many sensei that would teach a class and give a lecture during. This is hard to come by now. Time on the mat is so short that it is almost always used to do the physical aspect of judo.

    I like to read, and occasionally engage, in discussions with others* about a topic which i love: judo! You wouldn't hold that against me? We're all here and guilty of that!

    heikojr



    * hopefully real people (lol)
    avatar
    Jimgo

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Jimgo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:45 pm

    Hanon wrote:It is amazing to see how already exactly the same type of Q&A are being posted here as on the defunct JF?

    I keep being told not to take this media seriously, its just cyber posting and cant be seen as anything else.
    I agree with this. Its not possible to make a cyber dojo, its a shame but the nature of the internet and these forums is there will always be keyboard warriors, trolls and people who have various degree of judo knowledge.

    Even if grade could be verified that in itself is still no guarantee that a given poster has intellectual ability to write well on judo? There are sho dan on the JF who I have seen grow from kyu ranks who can post very knowledgeable posts. The variations are surprisingly large even among the kohaku ranks.

    Basically there where only four members of the JF who could write in the kata section who I would read and 'listen' to. Not many senior members even wrote in that section, that in itself may give you some food for thought?

    With respect I disagree with GJ when he writes about Ogoshi. Regardless of rank if a poster needs help with ogoshi the answer would be the same.

    THE only way to reply to a post here is to take the post on it merits. If you start this grade stuff it simply means nothing unless it can be verified. You all know full well any poster can come here, join, claim 6th dan, or whatever, and the only way of verifying that rank is in the style and CONTENT of his or her posts.
    Exactly the same situation in a real dojo. Any one may purchase a black obi. Soon shows up when on the tatami.

    I am not suggesting its not nice to know a persons rank bit to what aim under these circumstances.

    I have my own rank and my own years of experience, this never prevented one or two posters with zero knowledge posting on the old JF trying to correct and teach me the Ju no kata etc? I posted some clips on youtube in response to being requested to do so. Didn't prevent one poster from saying my harai tsuri komi ashi was okuri ashi barai and I had made a mistake with the name?

    Maybe this sort of information gives some poster a false sense of security? In reality such information is useless. The other side of this is there where some genuine very high ranks on the JF who on times made grave errors with the information they posted! I made mistakes myself and this is natural and understandable, non of us know judo. We can but write from the knowledge point we have today.

    Do you not recall the numerous times I have replied to a poster saying that their post may well one day in the future bite them in the butt. A few of mine did, lol

    Mike

    Ah, another interesting point. On the JF arguably the most knowledgeable member had his rank and qualifications questioned when he didn't even claim any rank or qualifications and his postal contributions are second to non!


    +1

    Although I think it would be best to leave comments about prominent personalities from the JF of the past, in the past. As you make clear in other thread statements, we don't want to pollute this Forum with divisive issues from the past.
    avatar
    judoratt

    Posts : 309
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 60
    Location : Seattle

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by judoratt on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 am

    Hanon wrote:
    heikojr wrote:

    Also, I like to think that i'm speaking to real people. Who have real lives, real names and real faces.

    heikojr

    Then one needs to stay in a real dojo and not the cyber world of judo?

    You keep well.

    Best wishes,

    Mike

    I have heard you can be anyone you want to be in cyberspace. Very Happy Very Happy
    avatar
    judoratt

    Posts : 309
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 60
    Location : Seattle

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by judoratt on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 am

    It has ben very useful to be able to go to someones profile when either giving or taking advice. If some one wants to be anonymous that is fine but I usually take their advice with a grain of salt. If some one goes to my profile on JF it doesn't say much but there is enough info to figure out who I am. Some profiles tell ones whole history thats fine also. with out the ability to look up a simple profile on people I belive the forum will lose integrity and have too many cyber warriors posting. JMHO
    avatar
    Judo Dad

    Posts : 147
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Australia

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Judo Dad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

    judoratt wrote: It has ben very useful to be able to go to someones profile when either giving or taking advice. If some one wants to be anonymous that is fine but I usually take their advice with a grain of salt. If some one goes to my profile on JF it doesn't say much but there is enough info to figure out who I am. Some profiles tell ones whole history thats fine also. with out the ability to look up a simple profile on people I belive the forum will lose integrity and have too many cyber warriors posting. JMHO

    +1

    Checking Profile can help to guage the posters perspective. For example a successful marketing expert may have greater credibility in discussions on how to promote your judo club. sunny

    avatar
    Carlo

    Posts : 191
    Join date : 2012-12-31
    Age : 50
    Location : Uk

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Carlo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 am

    There is a comments field that extra information can be added, is this visible to members?

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Hanon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:55 am

    judoratt wrote: It has ben very useful to be able to go to someones profile when either giving or taking advice. If some one wants to be anonymous that is fine but I usually take their advice with a grain of salt. If some one goes to my profile on JF it doesn't say much but there is enough info to figure out who I am. Some profiles tell ones whole history thats fine also. with out the ability to look up a simple profile on people I belive the forum will lose integrity and have too many cyber warriors posting. JMHO



    Hi JR,

    It would be so nice if we could post our exact details on the internet. I am a member of numerous forums covering numerous topics. SOME of those forum actually advise against giving out any personal details at all!

    Hey, PLEASE accept I am a total buffoon with software, not only software but I will stop at that, So many people today bank online and shop online. It is my understanding that cyber theft of indentity is THE biggest white collar crime in the world and is growing?

    I will not log onto my bank unless I am at home on my PC that is now well protected with the banks own security software plus other.

    This is only one aspect I fear. Let me again write for the thousandth time I was a victim on the JF of cyber crime. A poster there sent me malicious malware that over the period of a week destroyed my HD, this was so deliberate it took my my antivirus stuff and rendered my PC junk!

    When I originally joined the JF I was totally naïve. it was my first forum of any type so I answered every question asked and within a week I had written some 20 posts. One of those posts was reported to a federation who complained to the federation here and I got carpeted because I wrote a certain national coach from a certain country didn't know how to tie his obi and knew zero about ukemi blah blah. My fault, I was honest, to the point of being arrogant and rude. I learned and Judosensei removed my account and all my original posts saving me even further problems.

    Over the years I have been much more guarded and tried to be politically correct when posting. Learning about cyber posting was a new media and very steep learning curve for me. My own fault, no one else's. I had to learn that a post can be written as this one is in a friendly manner with respect but be misread as being confrontational and even rude and disrespectful.

    There's much more....affraid....Here is the second part to my query. Does it matter who writes here? I can say my real life name is Bernard monducci and I am a 9th dan and live in Luxembourg with 70 years of judo experience and my sensei was Kano Jigoro..blah blah blah. How can this be verified? In what way would this misinformation make a post of mine different? I can only post with the knowledge I have and its my peers who will judge and asses what I write as being worthy to read and take note of.

    I used to fill in my rank and age and time in judo on the JF this was so worthless so I removed it all. One very famous judoka from the old JF was accused of copying his information from Google and making up his posts! If you only knew how totally absurd this was. It didn't take a person with 5 years of judo to understand that said poster was an academic and practicioner of judo par excellence. Said poster had never claimed a rank at all yet became the subject of an awful forum witch hunt? Why was that? If a poster who reads this forum doesn't like the post, challenge the content, if one has the experience one can even challenge the knowledge base but, OH BUT, why challenge and be rude to the poster?

    As just one of many examples,I have never met Richard Reihle in person. We know each other through the forum and then PM's onto emails. I have his trust and he has mine so we know who and where and what rank etc we are, we know who taught us judo etc. This is fine but on a public forum it can be so dangerous to give such personal information to the point that if its requested some posters of value my not be able to continue with their contributions.

    Please don't think cyber judo is innocuous its certainly not. It can be a nasty vitriolic place to play where just a tiny few can and do do all they can to make a posters life difficult. It has got to the stage where I actually don't want to know who a poster is. I don't want the responsibility of that information.

    Regarding my own volume of work in cyber judo land it simply has to stand or fall on its written merits. If my post makes sense or is logic that's fine make what use of it one may. If a poster finds it incorrect, challenge it and lets debate. Short of that what else can we do?

    Rank is again no guarantee that a post is correct and I strongly advise all posters to read my post and do ones own research. I am not a customer service representative, my judo has cost me a fortune and a lifes time of missing other things. It would be pointless for me to write I am a sho dan or hachi dan. Its the content of the post that will stand or fall not my judo rank. I have read some posts written by kohaku ranks who I know in real life, they have not been what I would have expected from such a rank. As a peer I often have to avoid passing an answer to save the said posters losing face. Again content is the point not the rank of the person who writes it. I have also written posts years ago that I now know to be off base. As we practice we grow and our knowledge base grows. I hope I don't have the same knowledge base I do now in 5 years time, I hope its greater?

    We all need to debate and always ask questions about the content of a given post. Food for thought....

    Nice to chat with you here:cheers:

    Regards,

    Mike


    Last edited by Hanon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition, correction.)
    avatar
    heikojr

    Posts : 91
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Age : 48
    Location : NY

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by heikojr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

    I'm not saying let's put our name, address, bank account info, SS# and password on the profile. And i'm not saying let's put our name, e-mail address, ect. And i also agree that anybody could put any name and any rank and any number of lies on their profile.



    I am saying that when i read something written here, i do go look at the profile. I do like to know a little about who i am talking to other than Judo Rat looks like a picture of a rat, Judo Dad looks like a cartoon of a judoka, Genetic Judoka (who i have met) does not look like his photo... maybe the uchi-mata part.



    I am not judging the worth of someone's posts by what their profile says. Well, wait, maybe i do. I think it is tough to put your real name on your posts. It's tough to put it out there when you are accountable! But i would not put more worth on a post due to the profile saying that the person is a 6th dan or any other rank. I judge post to post. And some posts may be more worthy than other posts. And some people may have great posts and then they have poor posts.



    If the profile questions are offered, people can choose to complete them or not. And if it's offered people can choose to read them or not. But if it's not offered there is no choice at all.



    It is simmilar to your avatar. Why should we have one at all? Someone could see the photo i posted and lift it from the web and use it.



    Why should i aim to score ippon, i might get countered...



    Just a thought...



    heikojr
    avatar
    Judo Dad

    Posts : 147
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Australia

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Judo Dad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 am

    This forum can serve as a network to enable judoka accross the world to share useful ideas. Listing areas of expertise in the user profile I think can assist this networking. sunny

    BTW: I note Hannons excellent points about Identity Theft. I am happy for people to know how old I am (not that happy!) but D.O.B. is a key aspect of identity. Would it be possible to put your year of birth in the profile without day and month. I have tried to do this without success Question


    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Hanon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 am

    heikojr wrote:I'm not saying let's put our name, address, bank account info, SS# and password on the profile. And i'm not saying let's put our name, e-mail address, ect. And i also agree that anybody could put any name and any rank and any number of lies on their profile.



    I am saying that when i read something written here, i do go look at the profile. I do like to know a little about who i am talking to other than Judo Rat looks like a picture of a rat, Judo Dad looks like a cartoon of a judoka, Genetic Judoka (who i have met) does not look like his photo... maybe the uchi-mata part.



    I am not judging the worth of someone's posts by what their profile says. Well, wait, maybe i do. I think it is tough to put your real name on your posts. It's tough to put it out there when you are accountable! But i would not put more worth on a post due to the profile saying that the person is a 6th dan or any other rank. I judge post to post. And some posts may be more worthy than other posts. And some people may have great posts and then they have poor posts.



    If the profile questions are offered, people can choose to complete them or not. And if it's offered people can choose to read them or not. But if it's not offered there is no choice at all.



    It is simmilar to your avatar. Why should we have one at all? Someone could see the photo i posted and lift it from the web and use it.



    Why should i aim to score ippon, i might get countered...



    Just a thought...



    heikojr



    Hiya,



    I understand every point you raise. You don't NEED to put your bank account number and SS number, for some of these web criminals they only need an hour and they will tell you your bank account number. Give them you DOB and halve that time, give your country and halve that time again.

    It is, on times, of benefit to know details about a poster. I once, when I joined the JF, upset a child who wrote so well I assumed he was an adult. I had egg on my face, had I known the poster was a young teen I would have replied in a different manner.

    The makoto forum ran very well with zero personal information and so far this one is doing the same.

    I think if we reply to all posters as if they are one and the same we cant go wrong. I am alsi certain with your vast judo experience, particularly in the kata, you can very soon read a post and asses with a certain degree if what is written is written by a key board or practitioner of judo.

    Don't you recall a certain member of the JF teaching me Ju no kata when it transpired he had never even learned it, didn't take a page to establish that.

    If a poster desires to pass information that risk is his or hers. I don't think it responsible in this day and age to require such information nor even suggest it a healthy policy? It doesn't take long before we know who is judoka here and who is pretending. The beauty of judo is when we step on the tatami it takes seconds for us to realise we are all novices in any case.

    How is your kata coming along? I don't miss the politics of not having a dojo to run but I sincerely miss the judo on the tatami. Enjoy your tatami time, best years of your life!

    Did I read correctly that you are now a grandfather? cant be you are only 21!cheers

    Kindest regards,

    Mike
    avatar
    Jimgo

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Jimgo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 am

    For all sorts of reasons I will always elect not to put down any DOB or even year of birth on the the internet. If and when I feel comfortable to give personal details I can always PM - as I have done with Judo Dad. Hey but that's just me!

    Hanon

    Posts : 537
    Join date : 2012-12-31

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Hanon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

    Jimgo wrote:For all sorts of reasons I will always elect not to put down any DOB or even year of birth on the the internet. If and when I feel comfortable to give personal details I can always PM - as I have done with Judo Dad. Hey but that's just me!



    Ippon, soremade.

    Mike
    avatar
    Judo Dad

    Posts : 147
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Australia

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Judo Dad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 pm

    Jimgo wrote:For all sorts of reasons I will always elect not to put down any DOB or even year of birth on the the internet. If and when I feel comfortable to give personal details I can always PM - as I have done with Judo Dad. Hey but that's just me!

    +1

    And don't go changing just to please me I like you just the way you are flower


    Last edited by Judo Dad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

    avatar
    heikojr

    Posts : 91
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Age : 48
    Location : NY

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by heikojr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

    Hanon wrote:
    It is, on times, of benefit to know details about a poster. I once, when I joined the JF, upset a child who wrote so well I assumed he was an adult. I had egg on my face, had I known the poster was a young teen I would have replied in a different manner.

    The makoto forum ran very well with zero personal information and so far this one is doing the same.

    I think if we reply to all posters as if they are one and the same we cant go wrong. I am alsi certain with your vast judo experience, particularly in the kata, you can very soon read a post and asses with a certain degree if what is written is written by a key board or practitioner of judo.

    Don't you recall a certain member of the JF teaching me Ju no kata when it transpired he had never even learned it, didn't take a page to establish that.

    If a poster desires to pass information that risk is his or hers. I don't think it responsible in this day and age to require such information nor even suggest it a healthy policy? It doesn't take long before we know who is judoka here and who is pretending. The beauty of judo is when we step on the tatami it takes seconds for us to realise we are all novices in any case.

    How is your kata coming along? I don't miss the politics of not having a dojo to run but I sincerely miss the judo on the tatami. Enjoy your tatami time, best years of your life!

    Did I read correctly that you are now a grandfather? cant be you are only 21!cheers

    Kindest regards,

    Mike

    Nice exchange!

    First off, i must state that i am not so much interested in how old someone is, what sex they are, their DOB, or even theirrank. I am more interested in where they are from, where do they train, how long have they been studying judo (different than rank). And not for the sake of judging the worth of their post. My interest is in seeing others judo from around the world.

    Your reply leaves you off balanced, so to speak.

    On one hand, we should not give up information, on the other you state that you have made the mistake of assuming a poster was an adult when they were a child. This would not happen if their age had been on there, unless they lie, in which case it is their mistake as well.

    We can not reply to all posters the same, unless you meant with the same respect, which i fully agree with, but that should be understood in all cases. The perfect example is Johnny White Belt asks you about nage-no-kata. Then Alex Brown Belt asks about nage-no-kata. And then the World Champion asks you about it. You will have three different aswers, or you will be over Johnny's head.

    This is the type of debate that i enjoy as we can both see and understand both sides. Perhaps there is no answer to this.

    Again, i feel that if the person wants to use it, give them the choice. You should get to choose your screen name, avatar, and profile, real or fake.

    Yes, i became a granfather over the summer. At times i still feel very young --- until the next morning when i realize i played way too hard at class the night before!

    Stay well!

    heikojr
    avatar
    Ricebale

    Posts : 423
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Wollongong Australia

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Ricebale on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

    I take people how I find them, usually by the politeness and amount of good nature they display.

    I was raised and still believe in being moreso polite to persons of more life experience than myself and also females. I try to do this even if it is not reciprocated as it is part of who I am.

    Having age and gender available helps me to comprehend and respond to people online in a way I feel appropriate. In forum specific terms experience levels also help gauge the meaning of message too.

    I don't feel people should feel compelled to reveal anything, it just helps sometimes.

    Cheers
    avatar
    Jimgo

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Jimgo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm

    How's life up there in Wollongong? I'm from Melbourne. See I trust you and am comfortable enough with this forum to tell you that. Trust only comes with time and while I appreciate your comfort with knowing age and sex etc., we both know that deception on the internet extends to old men pretending to be young girls in order to groom them for unspeakable acts. How can one tell who you are dealing with until time reveals experience which can be confirmed. I am sure you will always be polite Ricebale more about the good discussions we will have and the trust that will grow over time rather than any details I may chose to concoct on a profile page.

    Anyway, I'm kind of enjoying this debate. It's interesting to hear what people have to say on this topic. While that doesn't necessarily help in providing a solution to the issue at hand, we do find out more about each other over time and posts. Smile

    Kind regards, Jim
    avatar
    Ricebale

    Posts : 423
    Join date : 2013-01-01
    Location : Wollongong Australia

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Ricebale on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

    Jimgo wrote:How's life up there in Wollongong? I'm from Melbourne. See I trust you and am comfortable enough with this forum to tell you that. Trust only comes with time and while I appreciate your comfort with knowing age and sex etc., we both know that deception on the internet extends to old men pretending to be young girls in order to groom them for unspeakable acts. How can one tell who you are dealing with until time reveals experience which can be confirmed. I am sure you will always be polite Ricebale more about the good discussions we will have and the trust that will grow over time rather than any details I may chose to concoct on a profile page.

    Anyway, I'm kind of enjoying this debate. It's interesting to hear what people have to say on this topic. While that doesn't necessarily help in providing a solution to the issue at hand, we do find out more about each other over time and posts. Smile

    Kind regards, Jim

    True, at 40 years old I might just well be entering the creepy age Very Happy

    The beach was very nice today, training session on the sand then swim, very good for the legs, I'm off again for swim after this post too. I'm easy to find via the youtube links I post so no hidden identity there, however I agree that there is absolutely no need for anyone to be more than they wish (edit: although your avatar does lead to the complete profile of your club including your rank and age)

    Cheers


    Last edited by Ricebale on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added details)
    avatar
    Jimgo

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Jimgo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 pm

    Ricebale wrote: (edit: although your avatar does lead to the complete profile of your club including your rank and age)

    Cheers

    That I did not know!! affraid

    That is highly disturbing to know that you or anyone else could access that info so easily. Let's keep how you did it as our little secret! Suspect
    avatar
    genetic judoka

    Posts : 541
    Join date : 2012-12-30
    Age : 31
    Location : Florida

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by genetic judoka on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 am

    so unless I'm mistaken the judo rank option has been added to the profiles. it is of course optional. those of you who wish to fill in yours are free to do so, those of you who have no interest in a poster's rank are free to ignore it.

    and ricebale, do you find it ironic that you like to know how old the person you're replying to is, yet you have not filled out that section on your own profile?


    _________________
    Warning: I am very opinionated, and very willing to share that opinion. However I am very much aware that I am here as a student, not a teacher.

    Sponsored content

    Re: More information in the profile?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm