E-Judo

Judo network and forum


    Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Share

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

    genetic judoka wrote:I don't know what mizuno does for sizing across the pond, but what I mean is they offer things in sizes like 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, etc. what I mean is the _.5 sizes are the wider ones.

    I'm 6'-5", 230 lbs (195cm, 205kg 105kg), and my size 6 mizuno single is one of my favorite gi. I wear it whenever I'm expecting a hard workout because it's so light and comfy.

    I understand. I mean to say that I fit the half size ( .5) as I 'm pretty sure the half size is the 165,175,185 etc measurement. I think it's harder to leave what you know, I've only bought one gi, and as I said I'd find the 170/180 too little/large.

    Hmm...scratch
    avatar
    Neil G

    Posts : 117
    Join date : 2013-01-23
    Age : 56
    Location : Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Neil G on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:55 am

    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    rjohnston411 wrote:Go with the Toraki, man.


    I've had a right good look around their site and although in keeping with just about every other company in that the photos of the gis are frankly, shit, they've got that measurement thing down. I really like the fact that you can give them your calf/bicep statsin too. I have broad shoulders am very thin in the arms and legs and that makes all but tailor made suits billow about. The only thing I can't locate is shipping fees which is what killed the fushida deal as it put the same again on postage. They have a warehouse in Germany though.
    Just email them, you'll find them quite helpful.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 pm

    Neil G wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    rjohnston411 wrote:Go with the Toraki, man.


    I've had a right good look around their site and although in keeping with just about every other company in that the photos of the gis are frankly, shit, they've got that measurement thing down. I really like the fact that you can give them your calf/bicep statsin too. I have broad shoulders am very thin in the arms and legs and that makes all but tailor made suits billow about. The only thing I can't locate is shipping fees which is what killed the fushida deal as it put the same again on postage. They have a warehouse in Germany though.
    Just email them, you'll find them quite helpful.



    I've sent an email. As luck would have it, the price has dropped since yesterday quite significantly. Hopefully the postage cost isn't prohibitive and that the sale stays on for a few weeks. I'm definitely edging towards the Toraki. My shortlist is now: Toraki Personal Gold, Essimo Ippon, Yudan if I can find a dealer and Fighting Films Superstar.
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by JudoStu on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 am

    i'm from the UK and found the guys at Toraki to be very helpful. I exchanged many emails with them before deciding what fit I wanted etc and they found me the right one even after washing/shrinkage.
    With the shipping it did come in at over £100 though.
    BTW I also have the Shuurai Lite, a 185 and was suprised how well it fits. I picked it up on ebay for £16, which is a great place to find cheap gis. Quite often people sell gis on there that have been washed once and no longer fit, so they are essentially brand new pre shrunk gis at half the price.


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 am

    JudoStu wrote:i'm from the UK and found the guys at Toraki to be very helpful. I exchanged many emails with them before deciding what fit I wanted etc and they found me the right one even after washing/shrinkage.
    With the shipping it did come in at over £100 though.
    BTW I also have the Shuurai Lite, a 185 and was suprised how well it fits. I picked it up on ebay for £16, which is a great place to find cheap gis. Quite often people sell gis on there that have been washed once and no longer fit, so they are essentially brand new pre shrunk gis at half the price.

    I received an email from Toraki and now all that remains is to take measurements and make an order in the next week or two. I'll post on here when the suit arrives.

    The Shuurai is a good suit and has stood up well to my year in judo but I only train once per week so it's not used very much. I think the Japanese cut for the trousers is way too wide for my skinny legs though and I'm always having to re-tie the trousers in training.

    I also sent a message to Yudan on their Brazilian site but have not received a reply and am unlikely to as I wrote the message in English. I will keep an eye on the web for another way to get one of their suits though as I really like the look of them.
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by JudoStu on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 pm

    I only got the Shuurai gi top so can't comment on the trousers. The Trousers on the Toraki gold are excellent btw, a much slimmer fit.


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 pm

    I'm still deliberating on this. Really not sure about if I should go for Toraki or Essimo. I've read plenty about Toraki but there isn't much about the Essimo Ippon slim fit to see/read. I like the look of the Ippon on their site but it's a pretty grainy photo of Illiadis wearing one and the fit looks great but not much to go on. Does anyone here own one? I'd love to hear from you. There's about a thirty pound sterling difference in price so not that much.

    still learning

    Posts : 125
    Join date : 2013-01-20
    Age : 48
    Location : South Wales UK

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by still learning on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 am

    A curve ball for you.

    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Shuurai-Pro-Judoka-Judo-Suit?sc=8&category=80840

    I'm just considering one of these, excellent kits, fantastic reduction in prices from last year.
    avatar
    Davaro

    Posts : 224
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : South Africa

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Davaro on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 am

    Fighting Films Superstar. 'nuff said. Value for money and the fit is reasonably slim compared to others.


    _________________
    Dew wrote:
    We could have a poll - but if the majority vote for "Judo roly poly" its going to ignite fascist dictatorlike tendencies lurking within me.


    http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/
    avatar
    JudoStu

    Posts : 212
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Age : 45
    Location : UK

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by JudoStu on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 am

    still learning wrote:A curve ball for you.

    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Shuurai-Pro-Judoka-Judo-Suit?sc=8&category=80840

    I'm just considering one of these, excellent kits, fantastic reduction in prices from last year.

    I noticed that they are selling all the gis at a reduced price from last year. The one you have linked to comes with a free t-shirt and black belt with your name embroided on both the belt and suit.
    Not sure how i'd feel buying a black belt when i'm not one though.


    _________________
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top

    still learning

    Posts : 125
    Join date : 2013-01-20
    Age : 48
    Location : South Wales UK

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by still learning on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:37 am

    JudoStu wrote:
    still learning wrote:A curve ball for you.

    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Shuurai-Pro-Judoka-Judo-Suit?sc=8&category=80840

    I'm just considering one of these, excellent kits, fantastic reduction in prices from last year.

    I noticed that they are selling all the gis at a reduced price from last year. The one you have linked to comes with a free t-shirt and black belt with your name embroided on both the belt and suit.
    Not sure how i'd feel buying a black belt when i'm not one though.
    I can't answer that one for you, suppose it depends on whether you see it as a goal you will achieve or a weight of expectation.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 am

    still learning wrote:A curve ball for you.

    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Shuurai-Pro-Judoka-Judo-Suit?sc=8&category=80840

    I'm just considering one of these, excellent kits, fantastic reduction in prices from last year.

    It does look very nice. Somebody at my dojo has a Shuurai, not sure what it's called but it's not the Lite which I own. It has a very nice fit and he's very lean but I'd like something different, it is a very nice suit though and the prices have dropped significantly.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 am

    Davaro wrote:Fighting Films Superstar. 'nuff said. Value for money and the fit is reasonably slim compared to others.

    Yip. I looked at that but call me daft, I just can't bring myself to wear a Gi with the word superstar on it. Yet. Laughing

    I like the fact that they give you the dimensions of the suit and you can compare them with your own to get a good fit. If only they'd take the superstar off the sleeve etc.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am

    JudoStu wrote:
    still learning wrote:A curve ball for you.

    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Shuurai-Pro-Judoka-Judo-Suit?sc=8&category=80840

    I'm just considering one of these, excellent kits, fantastic reduction in prices from last year.

    I noticed that they are selling all the gis at a reduced price from last year. The one you have linked to comes with a free t-shirt and black belt with your name embroided on both the belt and suit.
    Not sure how i'd feel buying a black belt when i'm not one though.

    They must have a job-lot with an offer like that. I wouldn't want the belt either it just wouldn't be right. Good lookin' suit though.
    avatar
    Davaro

    Posts : 224
    Join date : 2013-01-04
    Location : South Africa

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Davaro on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 am

    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Davaro wrote:Fighting Films Superstar. 'nuff said. Value for money and the fit is reasonably slim compared to others.

    Yip. I looked at that but call me daft, I just can't bring myself to wear a Gi with the word superstar on it. Yet. Laughing

    I like the fact that they give you the dimensions of the suit and you can compare them with your own to get a good fit. If only they'd take the superstar off the sleeve etc.

    Haha you are very hard to please. I do not even notice the "Superstar"

    Maybe, because you are so thin, and the name bothers you, you should go for the Dax "Mosquito"... Laughing


    _________________
    Dew wrote:
    We could have a poll - but if the majority vote for "Judo roly poly" its going to ignite fascist dictatorlike tendencies lurking within me.


    http://www.saizenjudo.wozaonline.co.za/
    avatar
    JudoMum

    Posts : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : England

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by JudoMum on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am

    My judoka is tall and skinny with long limbs - he tried the shuurai - too broad in the body with sleeves too short to be anywhere near competition legal. The shuurai lite fit him better in the jacket but the trousers were ridiculously short and wide - kinda like capri length clown trousers - he could have fit all of him into one leg. Tried the mizuno slim fit - the one that is the slim version of their 'superbest' - again, nice jacket, but trousers far too short, sleeves only just competition legal on a good day, quite pleased that one didn't fit though, at £250 a pop. He's tried various other brands on at stalls at competitions - FF, Green Hill, adidas etc, most seem to be made for players who are broad in the torso and shorter in the arms.

    We ended up going for the toraki. Great customer service, cost around £110 or so including VAT and shipping to the UK, and was with us a week after ordering. Very stiff kit, but he tells me it does soften down when it gets warmed through. He is 5'10" and 140lb. Right from the start this was the correct kit - he can actually keep the jacket on in shiai as there aren't acres of extra fabric swimming round him. Some clubs have an account with Toraki, which apparently reduce the cost significantly so that might be worth an ask as well Smile

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 pm

    Davaro wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Davaro wrote:Fighting Films Superstar. 'nuff said. Value for money and the fit is reasonably slim compared to others.

    Yip. I looked at that but call me daft, I just can't bring myself to wear a Gi with the word superstar on it. Yet. Laughing

    I like the fact that they give you the dimensions of the suit and you can compare them with your own to get a good fit. If only they'd take the superstar off the sleeve etc.

    Haha you are very hard to please. I do not even notice the "Superstar"

    Maybe, because you are so thin, and the name bothers you, you should go for the Dax "Mosquito"... Laughing

    You got that right. I am hard to please, maybe others wouldn't mind so much but the baggy judogi is driving me nuts now, there's just way too much material for big dudes to ragdoll me with. Laughing 

    I did look into the dax, there's not a lot of info on it really. Although the fit looks pretty good too on their site.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 pm

    JudoMum wrote:My judoka is tall and skinny with long limbs - he tried the shuurai - too broad in the body with sleeves too short to be anywhere near competition legal. The shuurai lite fit him better in whole the jacket but the trousers were ridiculously short and wide - kinda like capri length clown trousers - he could have fit all of him into one leg. Tried the mizuno slim fit - the one that is the slim version of their 'superbest' - again, nice jacket, but trousers far too short, sleeves only just competition legal on a good day, quite pleased that one didn't fit though, at £250 a pop. He's tried various other brands on at stalls at competitions - FF, Green Hill, adidas etc, most seem to be made for players who are broad in the torso and shorter in the arms.

    We ended up going for the toraki. Great customer service, cost around £110 or so including VAT and shipping to the UK, and was with us a week after ordering. Very stiff kit, but he tells me it does soften down when it gets warmed through. He is 5'10" and 140lb. Right from the start this was the correct kit - he can actually keep the jacket on in shiai as there aren't acres of extra fabric swimming round him. Some clubs have an account with Toraki, which apparently reduce the cost significantly so that might be worth an ask as well Smile

    The Shuurai Lite jacket is fine. The trousers are insanely wide. I could fit my whole self into one leg too. The length's fine for me though I've got short legs.

    It's looking like I will go with Toraki. They seem to be the best all-rounder for fit, price, customer care, feedback etc. You can't have it all unless you go for a truly custom fit so I can handle the fact that it's a pretty stiff Gi. Thanks.
    avatar
    DarthVader

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2013-07-16
    Location : Portugal

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by DarthVader on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:55 pm

    Wizard, if we you knew me from the other forum, you would know that I was the biggest fan of the Moskito. Its a heavy Gi (1200/gr2) but fits like a glove. I'm 1.83m/92kg and I have 2 Moskitos size 1.75m... the sizing is diferent. One of the Moskitos is 10 years old and the other is 3... they are still impecable.

    My latest Gi is a Matsuru Mondial - IJF approved - slim fit. It's 950 gr/m2, size 1.80m and the cut is really nice. I tried this week one 1.85 regular and it's a big diference. It's a cheap Gi (125 euros) compared to the other brands that produce IJF Gi's.

    Abraço


    _________________
    "If they could see on my face what I feel on my heart, no one would ever fight me"
    Yasushiro Yamashita
    avatar
    Udon

    Posts : 143
    Join date : 2012-12-31
    Location : Minnesota

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Udon on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:35 pm


    http://www.judo-voj.com/contents/okano.html

    It might be worthwhile looking at Okano Sensei's thoughts on the fit of judogi
    avatar
    Vin

    Posts : 46
    Join date : 2013-01-03
    Location : California

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Vin on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:08 pm

    Danrho also makes a slim fit gi for Judo. You might want to look into it.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 am

    Oops. I forgot all about my post on here...

    After all the deliberation I opted for a Matsuru Mondial GI. Its a quality suit no doubt and will be ok for competitions that require IJF criteria. When it came I couldn't believe it was slim fit and was going to send it back for being much too big. I decided to keep it though and wear it now and again. I actually prefer to wear my blitz shuraai lite suit now. It has shrunk loads in the year and a half I've had it but its very light compared to my mondial. My priority now is no longer slim fit suits but light ones. I find the weekly judo class hard enough without having to lug about a heavy GI on my near forty year old bones! There are a lot of big guys at the class and I'm only 175cm and 70kg. I need the lightness of the blitz and am used to it now. I was thinking about the mizuno hayato as my next GI I think its a light gi, does anyone here own one?
    avatar
    Vin

    Posts : 46
    Join date : 2013-01-03
    Location : California

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Vin on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:24 am

    The Mizuno Hayato is a single weave gi, so maybe too light for heavy practice. Unfortunately the Mizuno One and a half weave Keiko is no longer available in your size. The Jimmy Pedro which is the same gi as the Keiko may still be available in your size range a 3.5 or 4. You can also look into the Adidas Contest J650 which is the same weight as the Mizuno Keiko.

    TheWizardofOdds

    Posts : 49
    Join date : 2013-06-13

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 pm

    Thanks Vin.

    I think the shuraai lite is a one and a half weave, I could be wrong. It's a perfect weight I think. I'll look into the keiko. I take it the single weaves are much more liable to ripping or tearing?

    I'm pretty much done with heavy double weave suits. Is the adidas j500 a single weave? The j650 could be an option.
    avatar
    Vin

    Posts : 46
    Join date : 2013-01-03
    Location : California

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Vin on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

    The J500 has been discontinued, and is similar in weight to the Mizuno Hayato. The Contest J650 is the one similar to the Mizuno Keiko.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Which Slim-fit Gi?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am